The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Cables Make a Difference

VTHokie83

Cables Make a Difference

Post by VTHokie83 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:12 am

First off, I have 2 sets of Thiel speakers....both of which are extremely unforgiving, but incredibly rewarding when getting them right. I tried different interconnects and speaker cables over the past couple of years, even some pure silver cables. Even after letting them "burn in" for a couple of weeks, most sounded harsh and a bit bright. I'm not good at explaining the sound with flowery comments like "spatial, sound stage, airy" etc...so your mileage may vary.

I finally settled on Morrow Audio for the digital and analog interconnects, and AntiCables speaker cables. Yes they were difficult at first, but mellowed out and are near perfect in the current set up....however the cables took a few weeks (I believe the speaker cables were the culprit) to burn in, patience was needed.

Thiel CS1.5 & CS2.3 Speakers, Bob Latino VTA ST-120 Tube Amp with cap upgrades and stepped attenuator, NOS Volex 17604 power cord, Morrow MA1 & DIG1 Interconnects, AntiCables Level 2.1 Speaker Cables, Onkyo C-7030 CD, Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC, Grado SR80i and Sennheiser HD558 headphones, and Schiit Magni headphone amp.
    bluemeanies

Re: Cables Make a Difference

Post by bluemeanies on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:08 pm

I am not a BELIEVER in esoteric cables but that is MO. In this hobby there are many flavors to satisfy all taste buds.
    My experience comes from owning many different cables starting (when I was a young blood) lamp cord cable. My cornucopia has been MONSTER CABLE, BJC, MORROW, MIT TERMINATOR ll, AUDIOQUEST and now NAKAMICHI SPEAKER cable.
    I know there are more exotic cables out there but they all serve the same purpose and at various price margins...from cheap to ridiculously expensive.
    I challenged all of the cables mentioned in several blind tests with a little help from my friends so not to be bias one way or another. MY end result was NAKAMICHI 12guage. Not for any better reason other than asedtics. The BJC was just as good but for a little more $$ I had the appearance of hi-end cables.

This hobby is a journey...a never ending journey so enjoy but value your wallet and don't be afraid to ask questions before jumping into shallow waters.

Dogstar

Post by Dogstar on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:09 pm

I had thought about testing different cables with different speakers and different amps but focusing on one component (speaker cables) will not muddy the results or confuse the issue with too many variables.

I do have 3 different pairs of speakers. Factory built 3 way bookshelfs (Polk Audio LSiM 703’s), factory built 3 way towers (JBL L100T3’s), and home built 3 way towers (Klipsche). For the test I should pick just one pair.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:22 am