The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

better port for usb soundcard

dmagazz
    dmagazz

better port for usb soundcard  Empty better port for usb soundcard

Post by dmagazz Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:18 pm

i just wanted to share a little info here,
    ive been using usb 2.0 for my usb soundcard.
    i also have an eSATA (usb2.0/sata port) it is totally functional for soundcard use. and seemingly once more,better
    because it doesnt get effected by leaching of other things in the usb ports.
    seemingly, the eSATA port is a separate port altogether from the standard usb ports..
    i have found the streaming to the card seems much more smooth and untethered.
    sound isnt different, but i have NO issues with hangs/pops/scratch-spit noise.
    i have a blue yeti pro usb mic, and a logitech HD camera, and when i plugged them in to the usb ports before using the eSATA
    i would have problems with muting of the mic,(causing it to feedback)and another thing was issues with the bitrate 24-9600khz causing
    recorded data to desync,making the recording come out at a sped up version of the origin.
    havent checked to see if that problem still exists yet.
    but it does seem the eSATA is a better port for the external usb card/box.
    i do know that eSATA can run data up to 640mb a second as opposed to 60mb a second or so for the standard usb 2.slow
    so ....eSATA....NOT just for external hard drives Smile

after reading this post from Ewan Marshall Answered May 5, 2013 ,
    im not so sure its as beneficial as hoped though. (feeling deflated)lol
    USB 2 is a fairly slow interface and was not designed for storage devices but as a universal interface for cameras, printers, keyboards and mice. Also it shares bandwidth amongst all the devices plugged into a specific USB hub most computers have all the ports off of 1 or two hubs internally.

SATA is the modern interface for talking to storage devices in consumer PCs, it is fast and dedicated to attaching storage devices. eSATA is just this internal interface with a modified plug and socket design to strengthen it for multiple plugging in and unplugging.

and this from

High-speed peripheral connections on modern PCs
    by Parm Mann on 5 August 2009
    Tags: USB Implementers Forum
    Quick Link: HEXUS.net/qatfi

eSATA
    Regular SATA is designed for internal use, but a derivation, eSATA, provides the same functionality to external devices – usually hard drives. Using a different-shaped connector that’s incompatible with internal SATA, eSATA can provide USB 2.0- and FireWire 400-beating bandwidth with the added benefit of a direct connection, without the need for a bridging chip. The connector is more robust than internal SATA, as well.

eSATA, however, doesn’t usually provide host power to the drive and, by intimation, is limited to servicing hard-drives alone. Naturally, a lack of widespread host-based power curtails its effectiveness as a high-speed external interconnect.

it does seem better though, ive a bursted bubble Sad

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am