The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

finally happened-up in flames!

kevinmi

finally happened-up in flames!

Post by kevinmi on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:56 am

Well not actually flames, but I lost a vintage Tung-Sol 6550 tube in my ST-120. Red hot and a terrible noise that sent my dog running for cover! It blew the fuse, but not sure if it took out the rectifier tube or resistor.
     I ordered the auto bias board today (hindsight is 20/20), so hopefully I won't have to go through this again!
    CletusB

Re: finally happened-up in flames!

Post by CletusB on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:36 am

kevinmi wrote:Well not actually flames, but I lost a vintage Tung-Sol 6550 tube in my ST-120. Red hot and a terrible noise that sent my dog running for cover! It blew the fuse, but not sure if it took out the rectifier tube or resistor.
     I ordered the auto bias board today (hindsight is 20/20), so hopefully I won't have to go through this again!
    Sorry to hear that,  let us know what you find out was the cause please. scratch
    If it was a defect in the tube, I can't see how the auto bias would mitigate that.  Good old Dynacos and McIntoshs are still out there running on simple rectification/filtration systems with no unusual tube issues.
    I wipe down my ST-120 every Saturday morning (there's not a fingerprint on it) and check/adjust the bias as part of my breakfast ritual Laughing

Love the turntable in you avatar!   ...I really miss my Delphi! Crying or Very sad
    ArlanB

Post by ArlanB on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:42 pm

Over the years I have had 5 power tube failures 4 of which were internal failures with bright flashes taking out both the power tube and the 5AR4 and only one episode of red plating involving only the offending tube.  The flash failures usually occurred within 2 weeks to 7 months of installation, the red plate episode was with a 4&1/2 year old tube, probably close to end of life. All of the episodes have ended positively with no involvement of internal circuits after full check of all associated components.  Can attest to well designed circuits with tough components able to withstand todays modern power tubes with less than ideal construction standards.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:33 am

ArlanB wrote:Over the years I have had 5 power tube failures 4 of which were internal failures with bright flashes taking out both the power tube and the 5AR4 and only one episode of red plating involving only the offending tube.  The flash failures usually occurred within 2 weeks to 7 months of installation  (??!!), the red plate episode was with a 4&1/2 year old tube, probably close to end of life. All of the episodes have ended positively with no involvement of internal circuits after full check of all associated components.  Can attest to well designed circuits with tough components able to withstand todays modern power tubes with less than ideal construction standards.

What is your line voltage?

I have a set of vintage Siemans tubes in my OEM 70 that have many thousands of hours on them, and still test (and sound) very well.
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:26 pm

Red-plating is often a consequence of poor contact between tube pin and socket. It can't be emphasized enough, RETENSION and clean your sockets after a tube change, and make sure the pins are corrosion-free.
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies on Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:55 am

I have had one power tube smoke up over the last four years and I know it was me not paying attention.
    I had just turned on the m125's and my daughter called needing information where I had to leave my dedicated room. I was on the phone with her for about 20minutes. Hanging up I realized the valves were still warming up. When I went into the room I smelled smoke and seen smoke disapating from one of my m125's and the room smelled pretty bad.
    I quickly turned both m125's off and begin to research the problem which was me not checking the bias causes an output tube to be lost.
    I live in an area where voltage spikes and lows happen often and regularly. Hence I purchase a kil-o-watt and a Variac. Since, I have never had a problem.

Do the self bias change with the spikes in line voltage on a regular basis? Is that the intent of how it works? My voltage varies throughout the day and night even readings on weekends are crazy...I have had readings as high as 127 and as low as 115.
    In essence that self bias application would be working overtime in my system.
    Perhaps giving me more problems.
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi on Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:30 pm

I finally got time to look at the guts, and it looks like the only thing that blew was the fuse. I'm in the process of installing the auto bias board, so hopefully everything will be good from here on out!
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino on Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:00 pm

bluemeanies wrote: My voltage varies throughout the day and night even readings on weekends are crazy...I have had readings as high as 127 and as low as 115.

This "voltage roller coaster" happens more often than you might think .. I have a "Kill-A-Watt" device that monitors the voltage in my workshop 24/7. I glance at the voltage readings from time to time during the day. I am lucky because my voltage is pretty steady day and night. If your bias voltage is up and down for no apparent reason, usually this is a line voltage issue. A change of just a 1/2 volt in your line voltage will cause the bias to change noticeably. Voltage goes UP > Bias goes UP. If just ONE tube has an irregular bias voltage, then usually the tube and/or that tube's contact with the socket pins has a problem.

Bob
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi on Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:19 pm

I noticed that when I replaced the ST-120 with a pair of monoblocks I had laying around, that I was losing volume in the channel with the bad tube. The tube was something I bought online, and was probably on its way out.
    I do have some fluctuation in my line voltage, and I plan on remedying that with one of those voltage regulator/ power conditioner thingys(that's a technical term)
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:20 pm

kevinmi wrote:I noticed that when I replaced the ST-120 with a pair of monoblocks I had laying around, that I was losing volume in the channel with the bad tube. The tube was something I bought online, and was probably on its way out.
     I do have some fluctuation in my line voltage, and I plan on remedying that with one of those voltage regulator/ power conditioner thingys(that's a technical term)

Kevin, forgive my constant hucksterisms, but Furman is easier to say than all them other words put together.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:23 am