The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Office System

Peter W.
    Peter W.

Office System Empty Office System

Post by Peter W. Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:16 am

https://www.dropbox.com/s/klf59nc4k3gis2y/IMG_20181102_092905106%5B1%5D.jpg?dl=0    

The Office System is the last picture in the bunch. Prior pictures include the FM 3 as-found in the testing and cleaning process. That is an OEM solid-state ST120 in that sequence that lives on the bench only for testing purposes. Not exactly a pretty unit, but it has the full complement of mods and is quite reliable, age and tarnish notwithstanding. The PAS 3X was previously mentioned here, and is as-found but for the filament supply and removal of surface skunge. The 35 has been sitting in my mothball fleet for about 4 years, and is happy to be back in service. The system is dead-quiet on 0-volume.

The office system includes: FM3, ST35 & Pas 3X driving AR Athena sub-sats, and with a Sony 5-disc changer. That knot in the antenna acts as a small choke (really) that suppresses noise from the 40-year old escalator machine on the other side of that wall. I am nearly dead-center in the catacombs of a city-block large complex, so getting any FM signal at all is a task. Getting it not stepped-on by something else is a miracle.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Office System Empty Just the one pic?

Post by deepee99 Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:27 am

Peter, I am new to dropbox.
    Was there just one pic or was there supposed to be a sequence?
    At any rate, nice looking layout. We have no FM reception here, otherwise there'd be an FM-3 in my own loop.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Office System Empty Re: Office System

Post by Peter W. Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:33 am

Back-click on the left header arrow to see the entire sequence.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:53 am

Peter W. wrote:Back-click on the left header arrow to see the entire sequence.
    You're gonna have to draw me a picture. There's no header arrow showing.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:00 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nqnrsyfukoeiieu/AACxdLZsiAgKb_zamtC6sxmja?dl=0

Try this one. I took out the "in this order" command.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:02 pm

Peter W. wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nqnrsyfukoeiieu/AACxdLZsiAgKb_zamtC6sxmja?dl=0  

Try this one. I took out the "in this order" command.
    Cazart! I now have 9 images, not just one, and they're all different. QED.
    Tnx
    deepee
    BTW, just for future reference, they make these canister-type things with a motor and an air-pump board them designed to blow the dust accumulation off your sensitive electronic equipment and scatter it about the room, thus reducing its (the dust's) concentration.
    Or are you the school of thought (to which I subscribe) that dust and grime are the cosmic glue that holds things together? Cool
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Or are you the school of thought (to which I subscribe) that dust and grime are the cosmic glue that holds things together?

I try to use brushes and a vacuum. When it gets really bad, I will hang the thing out on the back porch and rinse everything down with WD-40 (into a trash-bag with kitty-litter), thence to the dishwasher. Can you say "sparkling clean"? Plastic parts and tubes must be removed, of course, as well as the little wooden wedges and such. Then all moving parts must be lubricated - but it does work. Were the skunge to have been nicotine, that is exactly what would have happened.

We have a Bosch dishwasher, with no exposed heating element, so electronics on the top rack do fine. Dry in a 120F oven for a few hours, then 24 hours in the sun. Never an issue. Not even with IF cans.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:50 pm

The system now has 40 hours on it - and is performing flawlessly. One of the maintenance workers came through and commented on how nice a voice "she" had. It happened to be a chorus and response of counter-tenors. Ah, well.

I am going through the Archiv 50-disc collection of their recordings from 1959 - 1981, more-or-less in order, but from back-to-front.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am