The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

SCA-35 Selector Switch

Tom_Johnson

SCA-35 Selector Switch

Post by Tom_Johnson on Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:08 pm

OK Guys, please bare with me for a minute. I picked up a factory wired SCA-35. Upon inspection, I found one of the selector wafers is broken beyond repair, 3 parts, spent hours trying to fix it. Done with that.
    Since this is a shorting type selector (for no cross talk between components) and made just for this amp, it is Irreplaceable so be careful with what you have. I started looking around and there is nothing that is compatable or, drop in ready. I contacted a couple companies that make selector switches, for them to R&D the switch is way to much $$$. Since the original is a double wafer switch, it is more akin to a 4 pole 5 throw switch. I purchased a couple of these Russian selectors seen below. I was thinking with a few modifications, It might work. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

peterh

Re: SCA-35 Selector Switch

Post by peterh on Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:29 pm

You might have more fun with an relay board, which may be bought cheap on ebay :
    4 channels :
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Switch-Signal-Selector-Audio-Input-Signal-Amplifier-Board-Board-Relay-DIY/222466373655?hash=item33cc077817:g:Ao4AAOSw03lY554O

or 6 channels
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Channel-Unbalanced-Stereo-or-Balanced-Mono-Audio-Input-Selector-Relay-Module/201225517448?epid=1382862099&hash=item2ed9f9b988:g:bMMAAOSwBadTq6UA

Both may be rebuilt ( if not already ok) so the unused inputs are shorted to ground.
    Board may be mounted at the back, switch mounts in it's usual place. 12V may be created by
    doubling the filament.
    Tom_Johnson

Post by Tom_Johnson on Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:34 pm

Thanks peterh, I saw another post where you said this could work, I need to research the shorting or map it somehow. I understand the concept, implamenting it is the challenge.
    Cool avatar by the way. Whats the story?
    peterh

Post by peterh on Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:53 pm

Tom_Johnson wrote:Thanks peterh, I saw another post where you said this could work, I need to research the shorting or map it somehow. I understand the concept, implamenting it is the challenge.
    Cool avatar by the way. Whats the story?
    The avatar is a graffiti made by an unknown artist in a railway tunnel. Long gone,
    i think my fotos is the only memories. I found it appealing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:42 am