The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

ANK DAC 4.1 Build

cci1492
    cci1492

ANK DAC 4.1 Build - Page 3 Empty Re: ANK DAC 4.1 Build

Post by cci1492 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:29 am

Hi Benny, I'm looking to test it down here in my basement for at least a week (I don't have a USB source upstairs). Unfortunately I don't have a system down here and I'm using PC speakers right now. This dac is my first dac ever, I don't have anything to compare it to other than the onboard dac in my CD player, my HT receiver and the Node 2 Bluesound streamer device. But I'll hook it up to my main system, do some close listening and see if I like it.
    bbqjoe
    bbqjoe

Post by bbqjoe on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:49 am

All I can say, is for the price and amount of components, your speakers better downright ooze gold.
    It still looks like a fun build.
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:40 am

bbqjoe wrote:All I can say, is for the price and amount of components, your speakers better downright ooze gold.

Yes, loved building. The build was straight forward, pretty easy build, anyone here can bang this one out without even coming close to breaking a sweat. I'm sure it will sound good, but yeah, pretty crazy dropping this kind of dough without even seeing one. I recall the 70's and 80's going to all the "stereo stores" like Tech HiFi, Stereo Warehouse here in Paramus Rt 4, Crazy Eddie's, J&R Music World, Leonard Radio (here in Paramus and there were 2 in the city up in the 50's and one down by the World Trade Center), and all the mom and pops places on Canal St. and in the world trade center area too. We would walk around with albums and go into the city and play them all over, most places were happy to do it too. Before buying anything we knew at least how it sounded in the store. Today, not even close. You call some of these places and unless you want them to come over and do a $80K install they really don't want to hear from you. I think kit building is perfect in this WWW thing we have to live with now.
    bbqjoe
    bbqjoe

Post by bbqjoe on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:08 pm

cci1492 wrote:
    bbqjoe wrote:All I can say, is for the price and amount of components, your speakers better downright ooze gold.

Yes, loved building. The build was straight forward, pretty easy build, anyone here can bang this one out without even coming close to breaking a sweat. I'm sure it will sound good, but yeah, pretty crazy dropping this kind of dough without even seeing one. I recall the 70's and 80's going to all the "stereo stores" like Tech HiFi, Stereo Warehouse here in Paramus Rt 4, Crazy Eddie's, J&R Music World, Leonard Radio (here in Paramus and there were 2 in the city up in the 50's and one down by the World Trade Center),  and all the mom and pops places on Canal St. and in the world trade center area too. We would walk around with albums and go into the city and play them all over, most places were happy to do it too. Before buying anything we knew at least how it sounded in the store. Today, not even close. You call some of these places and unless you want them to come over and do a $80K install they really don't want to hear from you. I think kit building is perfect in this WWW thing we have to live with now.

Indeed.

I've always enjoyed building electronics.
    One of my favorite jobs was being employed by a company that built Mil-spec power supplies, where every single solder joint went under a 30x microscope many times.
    I was really good back then (35 years or so ago)

I might not be quite as good today without the practice, the microscope, and my eyesight, but I must say I thoroughly enjoyed spending a portion of my winter sitting in my shop listening to music, building a little D class amp project, the St-120, and to top it off, the SP14.

I'm now out of projects.
    I found myself sitting behind my computer last night Jonesing for something to solder, or build. I wish I could afford to build your DAC.
    Whether it adds any modicum of anything to a system, is irrelevant. I just need another something to build! Smile
    Your project is really coming along and looks great!

Just for fun, here's my simple AC/DC powered Twin mono D amp project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpOqqbCmEdg&t=14s

Carry on!

Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:50 pm

bbqjoe wrote:
    cci1492 wrote:
    bbqjoe wrote:

I'm now out of projects.
    I found myself sitting behind my computer last night Jonesing for something to solder, or build. I wish I could afford to build your DAC.
    Whether it adds any modicum of anything to a system, is irrelevant. I just need another something to build! Smile
    Your project is really coming along and looks great!

Just for fun, here's my simple AC/DC powered Twin mono D amp project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpOqqbCmEdg&t=14s

Carry on!

If you are anywhere near the East Coast on May 10/11, 2019, get yourself to Kutztown. http://www.dvhrc.com/kutztown.html

I have never left without at least two (or more) Dynaco orphans in tow. At this moment, a few of them are still in the queue. Yes, it is mostly vintage radio, but there is a strong admixture of audio, both vintage (tube) and recent (solid-state). Last May, there was a fully operational pair of KLH Model 9s, and two ST70s relabeled by Hammond. All kinds of *stuff*.
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:48 am

Minor details to be done before it's completed (adding another SPDIF/RCA to share with USB...not using USB for now). But dragged it upstairs last night and hooked it up. System: PrimaLuna Dialogue pre-amp, /6 cv4003 (12au7 with cryo-vodoo too) from the guy that sells this product (out west). Power amp M125 in triode mode, speakers phase linear P580s (re-badged Pioneer/TAD S-955) and the CD player Tascam CD-200. Not an easy system to make sound better as it already sounds pretty good. Switching (pre-amp ports) back and forth between the CD's analog RCA outputs connected directly to the pre-amp and the coax from the cd player going to the dac and then the dac to another AUX on the pre-amp. It's definitely not a night and day difference on excellent recorded CDs (like the live Nils Lofgren CD for example). On the average CD there's clearly an improvement, less edgy, smoother, easier to listen to, meaning some of the highs have less ear bleeding levels. The sound is definitely more vinyl like I would say. The other change is in the mids, they are a little more forward (female vocals). Also, in my system, the bass is unchanged, the highs are smoother (in some cases less sibilant...like a bad VTA adjustment correction). Just some honest initial thoughts, have to do some more listening. Will try some streaming from the Bluesound node 2 next.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:51 pm

That is quite the motley (in the very best sense of that word) collection of equipment! And proof that there is no need to make everything come from a single manufacturer or source!

I suspect that those speakers would benefit from the most headroom you can get to them.
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:17 pm

Yes, dark side of the moon with the Soundcraftsmen 250W/channel and the old yamaha c50 pre-amp (that died on me 20 years ago) took the plaster off the ceiling in one of our bedrooms upstairs (enormous almost perfect circle right in the middle). We had just moved in (1994) and I was just enjoying not having to live in an apartment anymore with close neighbors.
    bbqjoe
    bbqjoe

Post by bbqjoe on Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:03 pm

cci1492 wrote:It's definitely not a night and day difference on excellent recorded CDs (like the live Nils Lofgren CD for example)
    Are you talking about the Acoustic live album?
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:25 pm

Yes that one blows the doors and windows out no matter how it's played.
    bbqjoe
    bbqjoe

Post by bbqjoe on Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:28 pm

cci1492 wrote:Yes that one blows the doors and windows out no matter how it's played.
    Listening to it now on Amazon stream.
    Wonderful stuff!
    I believe it's a keeper in the buy FLAC download list.
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:17 pm

ANK DAC 4.1 Build - Page 3 Img_8424

ANK DAC 4.1 Build - Page 3 Img_8425

ANK DAC 4.1 Build - Page 3 Img_8426

I wasn't going to post anymore on this thread but tonight it finally happened. These are the final pictures. I'm a little taken aback by the sound I'm getting tonight from this system. Maybe the pre-amp, maybe Bob's M125's or maybe the dac, but wow! Listening to Radio Paradise off the streamer. This sounds better than it should!
    audiobill

Post by audiobill on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:23 pm

Beautiful dac, beautiful build!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:28 am