The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products


    VTA120 - bass no longer present - fixed !

    Share

    fmorelli

    Posts : 20
    Join date : 2013-08-27

    VTA120 - bass no longer present - fixed !

    Post by fmorelli on Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:48 pm

    Hi all, have not been on the forum in a while. Hope you all are well!

    I could use a bit of help. My VTA120 has been running well for years. Copper cap, Gold Lion KT88s, time delay. They are pushing Klipsch Epic CF-4 v1s. The whole setup has sounded great for years. In the last couple of days, it sounds like the bass has completely left. Any thoughts on what's going on or how to check it out?

    Thanks guys!

    Filippo
    avatar
    Bob Latino
    Admin

    Posts : 2719
    Join date : 2008-11-26
    Location : Massachusetts

    Re: VTA120 - bass no longer present - fixed !

    Post by Bob Latino on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:11 pm

    fmorelli wrote:Hi all, have not been on the forum in a while. Hope you all are well!

    I could use a bit of help. My VTA120 has been running well for years. Copper cap, Gold Lion KT88s, time delay. They are pushing Klipsch Epic CF-4 v1s. The whole setup has sounded great for years. In the last couple of days, it sounds like the bass has completely left. Any thoughts on what's going on or how to check it out?

    Thanks guys!

    Filippo

    Hi Fillippo,

    I have here on record a VTA ST-70 (not an ST-120) that you purchased in August of 2013? but you could have bought the ST-120 second hand ? Your ST-70 is over 5 years old.

    1. How many hours are on those output tubes ? or how many years have you been using them ? If you estimate that those tubes are over 3 years old or have over 3000 hours, replace the output tubes.

    2. If the lack of bass is on BOTH channels, try a new center driver tube first.

    3. Have you ruled out the preamp that you are using with your amp as a source of the loss of bass ?

    Bob

    fmorelli

    Posts : 20
    Join date : 2013-08-27

    Re: VTA120 - bass no longer present - fixed !

    Post by fmorelli on Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:48 pm

    Thanks, Bob. Really appreciate the advise!

    Oops ... sorry ST-70 ... not sure why I got that crossed up. I actually swapped the KT88s after a few years with fresh, as switched to the copper cap rectifier. But the driver tubes are original to the amp, which are Genalex ECC82's - sounds like all 3 should be replaced at this age/use? I should ask if you have any recommendations. The speakers have horns in them and if anything are a smidge on the bright side already.

    I'm sure it is not on the source side. This amp was a joy to build, and it powers the music in my guitar-making shop. Honestly the best bang for the buck piece of audio equipment I've ever gotten - it puts a smile on my face every time I turn it on.
    avatar
    Tube Nube

    Posts : 684
    Join date : 2008-12-06
    Age : 55
    Location : Calgary, AB

    Re: VTA120 - bass no longer present - fixed !

    Post by Tube Nube on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:48 pm

    How are buyers of the new issue Dynaco gonna get thiis kind of expert assistance? I guess they might come here, and when they do. . . maybe some will get the itch to upgrade their gear with VTA options.
    avatar
    deepee99

    Posts : 2048
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: VTA120 - bass no longer present - fixed !

    Post by deepee99 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:31 pm

    Tube Nube wrote:How are buyers of the new issue Dynaco gonna get thiis kind of expert assistance? I guess they might come here, and when they do. . . maybe some will get the itch to upgrade their gear with VTA options.
    What I find refreshing, too, is that Bob (and the rest of his Merry Men) will try to help out with issues totally unrelated to VTA/Tubes4Hifi gear. Try to get that kind of support from your average retailer or importer!
    avatar
    Peter W.

    Posts : 1084
    Join date : 2016-08-07
    Location : Melrose Park, PA

    Re: VTA120 - bass no longer present - fixed !

    Post by Peter W. on Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:35 pm

    deepee99 wrote:
    Tube Nube wrote:How are buyers of the new issue Dynaco gonna get thiis kind of expert assistance? I guess they might come here, and when they do. . . maybe some will get the itch to upgrade their gear with VTA options.
    What I find refreshing, too, is that Bob (and the rest of his Merry Men) will try to help out with issues totally unrelated to VTA/Tubes4Hifi gear. Try to get that kind of support from your average retailer or importer!

    A small community with large hearts - if occasionally snarky!

    fmorelli

    Posts : 20
    Join date : 2013-08-27

    Re: VTA120 - bass no longer present - fixed !

    Post by fmorelli on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:15 pm

    Alright I figured it out. So it turns out the ground connection for the front aux loosened up. Over time it broke the wire soldered to the back.

    Filippo


    Sponsored content

    Re: VTA120 - bass no longer present - fixed !

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:28 pm