The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
Roy Mottram
Skydogcable
6 posters

PH16XW NoiseFloor/Hum

Peter W.
    Peter W.

PH16XW NoiseFloor/Hum - Page 2 Empty Re: PH16XW NoiseFloor/Hum

Post by Peter W. Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:12 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    cci1492 wrote:
    Peter W. wrote:Three, as it happens.

Yeah? Spill the beans, which ones?
    Until Peter W. comes off with his mysterious three, I can recommend the phono pre-amp built into the old Hafler DH-101 line pre-amp, at least for 47 uF MM cartridges. I was AB'ing it with the tube phono preamp I have and was pleasantly surprised. Also, there are lots of little tweaks you can do to this and other early Hafler gear to make it run like a $2,000 preamp.

As it happens, my Hafler is one of them.
    Signal to Noise, weighted (3.12): 87 dB
    Unweighted comes to well over 100 dB

My HK Citation 17 is another, as specified, 80 dB, as tested, 97 dB (on the hand-written test sheet that came with it) which I am figuring is close enough.

The last being the Dynaco PAT-5 biFet. As specified, 90 dB. Actual is again, about 97 dB, close enough.

The Revox A720 has relatively poor written specs, but I will state that it shows the least audible noise from the phono section at full volume.

Then, there is pretty much everything else.
    solderblob
    solderblob

Post by solderblob Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:03 pm

cci1492 wrote:If they offered one with that walnut case, the wires on the rear panel and no hum, I might buy one!

Roy did mine that way with the RCAs, ground lug, and IEC/combo switch on the rear.  He also cut slots in the top cover to access the DIP switches.  

He probably will charge a bit extra for the cutting of the steel, but not much.

You could wrap it with wood but cut the rear piece so as to clear the wires/switch.  Or just wrap 3 sides.

Sorry about the fuzzy picture.

I love this preamp and there's no hum!

PH16XW NoiseFloor/Hum - Page 2 Dsc04710
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:32 pm

Looks good, I wonder if there's any benefit to using the toroidal ta instead.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:45 pm

the standard "flat-pak" transformers are extremely quiet, no advantage to going with the toroidal in this case

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:38 am