The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+5
mmmbeer
MarcVBelgium
vtshopdog
WLT
ImFritz
9 posters

Reccomendations for a Diy Dac

ImFritz

Reccomendations for a Diy Dac Empty Reccomendations for a Diy Dac

Post by ImFritz Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:17 am

Good morning all!
    Man its cold Here!
    Can anyone chime in with any recommendation's concerning a quality Diy Dac that I can build and add to my system?
    scratch
    WLT
    WLT

Reccomendations for a Diy Dac Empty Re: Reccomendations for a Diy Dac

Post by WLT Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:32 pm

I am interested my self. Particularly if it uses the ESS Saber 9038 chip. Or the 9038PRO chip version.

It was below 0 again last night. Much nicer at lunch time now. About 10
    vtshopdog
    vtshopdog

Post by vtshopdog Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:01 am

I looked at the offerings from Twisted Pear a couple years ago but never pulled the trigger on a kit.  They seem reasonably priced and very customizable to point I got overwhelmed by possible choices and bailed on project but have been thinking of it again lately.  They sell preassembled boards, no soldering, so if you are looking to melt tin during your build, look elsewhere.  The Buffalo series uses one of the Saber chips.

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/landing.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI14_Tx92Z4AIVBgxpCh3zUgrpEAMYASAAEgKu4fD_BwE

(Of course if anyone here wants to buy me an ANK kit I would happily build that)
    MarcVBelgium
    MarcVBelgium

Post by MarcVBelgium Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:13 am

A great (rather high-end'ish) DIY DAC can be found here. They ship worldwide.

https://audio-creativeshop.nl/dddac/
    mmmbeer

Post by mmmbeer Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:05 pm

This one looks really nice

https://www.amb.org/audio/gamma3/
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:42 am

I know Skizo is or was happy with his Maverick. Might PM him for some thoughts.
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:56 pm

Most dacs are a power supply, digital circuitry and an output stage.

Why not build an excellent preamp, like Roy's SP14 and add this R2R AD1865 multibit board? And, please avoid screechy Sabre dacs!

https://www.ebay.com/i/273502493226?chn=ps
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:43 pm

audiobill wrote:Most dacs are a power supply, digital circuitry and an output stage.

Why not build an excellent preamp, like Roy's SP14 and add this R2R AD1865 multibit board?  And, please avoid screechy Sabre dacs!

That's very sage advice from a guy who knows almost as much about the VTA/Tubes4HiFi gear than Bob or Roy. (Sorry, Bob and Roy, but Bill's a keeper.)
    DAC technology is still in its infancy and prices likewise are all over the board. Wanna drop $15,000 on a stand-alone DAC that some new $2 chip might render obsolete tomorrow or next year? Easy to do.
    I'd put my emphasis on the SP-14. You'll still be using it 5, 10, 20 years down the road while DAC technology and (hopefully) pricing mature. On somewhat of a related note, put as much of your money as you can squeeze into the SP-14's multitude of options up front.
    XLR inputs, the volume /or source selector remote, the pots and some of the caps are easier (read "cheaper") to install while the critter's being built. But these are either difficult or nigh impossible to retro-fit.
    Even if you just are thinking about a remote volume control "down the road," do it now before the chassis holes are cut or the pots are wired in. Better that way and leave future finessing for your tubes and other consumables. This advice obviously applies to Roy's SP-14 and equivalents produced by Don Sachs, & etc.
    My two-bits' worth this rainy Sunday, at any rate.

Last edited by tubes4hifi on Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:05 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Diction and grandma)
    bbqjoe
    bbqjoe

Post by bbqjoe Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:47 am

audiobill wrote:Most dacs are a power supply, digital circuitry and an output stage.

Why not build an excellent preamp, like Roy's SP14 and add this R2R AD1865 multibit board?  And, please avoid screechy Sabre dacs!

I need a decoder just to understand the full description and reviews! Wink
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:17 am

I agree with Bill's thoughts. Aside from the digital board, all the parts which make up the ANK 4.1 dac are all there with the SP-14. You can build 3 SP-14s for the cost of one ANK 4.1, something to consider.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm