The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

SP14 'elite' Version

mmmbeer

SP14 'elite' Version Empty SP14 'elite' Version

Post by mmmbeer on Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi all

I have an SP14 board (I believe it is REV E, over a year old) that I'm going to get started wiring into the case.  I noticed since there is now an 'elite' version using B+ film caps as an upgrade.   Is it possible to just install film caps where the electrolytics would be on mine?  Any other modifications that would need to be done?  I don't plan on pulling the board out ever in the future so I'd like to implement any upgrades now. The board is fully soldered but I can easily pull out the electrolytics.  I noticed on Don Sach's version he only has one film cap on one side of the board and othe is unstuffed?  I am very familiar with soldering and mechanical assembly, I am still learning electronic design though.  

On another note, I can't wait to get some tubes in my system! I've got all solid state now, and I am very curious to see what this does (mostly bryston gear, b&w diamond speakers)

Thank you

Cheers
    corndog71
    corndog71

SP14 'elite' Version Empty Re: SP14 'elite' Version

Post by corndog71 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:16 pm

On my SP13 I replaced the B+ caps at the first gain stage with Clarity TC CAPS.  I started with one channel to compare and the film cap eliminated a slight haze to the sound.  

SP14 'elite' Version 43659736431_612c41716a_cVTA SP13 tube preamplifier
    tubes4hifi
    tubes4hifi
    Admin

Post by tubes4hifi on Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:44 pm

MMMbeer,
    sorry, if you had emailed me directly you would have gotten an answer within a few hours, rather than a week or two, as I don't check this forum very often.
    You can replace the B+ caps with film caps. Just remember that you do not want more than about 33uF attached directly to the output of the rectifier tube (C11).
    The other B+ caps (C5) can be as big as you want. I sell a B+ film cap upgrade on my SP14 page.
    www.tubes4hifi.com/SP14.htm
    Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens on Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Welcome. What u really want to do is get Bob's VTA 120 power amp. You will be very elated > Dale

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:52 am