The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

Speakers and your tube amp?

music

Speakers and your tube amp?  Empty Speakers and your tube amp?

Post by music on Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:15 pm

Anyone using Altec lansing Model 19 or Model 17 with their ST-120?
    WLT
    WLT

Speakers and your tube amp?  Empty Re: Speakers and your tube amp?

Post by WLT on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:22 pm

No not exactly but close. My main speakers are a pair of Altec Duplex (615A) with the N 1600D crossovers. I have used all of the vintage Dynaco tube amps with them so my power level is mostly lower than yours. I also had a pair of Altec 9846 which are much closer to the design of the 17s or 19s. It was a sealed box in lieu of the ported design for the 17 and 19. I think all three use the 15” Altec Alnico woofer and the nice sectoral horns.

The efficiency of the Altecs makes it so the amp power output is not really an issue with them. The bigger question is how good does your amp sound? I sold the Altec 9846 to a guy who also has the model 19s and another Altec set (but I do not remember the model). He uses McIntosh Mc30, Mc60 and Mc275 to drive them. Needles to say they all sound good when I checked them out. He bought the 9846 from me after listening to them with my MK IIIs. He was impressed with the MK IIIs.

I suspect your ST-120 would be terrific. Way more power than you will ever need.

Did you have a specific question about the match up?
    music

Post by music on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:33 pm

WLT wrote:No not exactly but close. My main speakers are a pair of Altec Duplex (615A) with the N 1600D crossovers. I have used all of the vintage Dynaco tube amps with them so my power level is mostly lower than yours. I also had a pair of Altec 9846 which are much closer to the design of the 17s or 19s. It was a sealed box in lieu of the ported design for the 17 and 19. I think all three use the 15” Altec Alnico woofer and the nice sectoral horns.

The efficiency of the Altecs makes it so the amp power output is not really an issue with them. The bigger question is how good does your amp sound? I sold the Altec 9846 to a guy who also has the model 19s and another Altec set (but I do not remember the model). He uses McIntosh Mc30, Mc60 and Mc275 to drive them. Needles to say they all sound good when I checked them out. He bought the 9846 from me after listening to them with my MK IIIs. He was impressed with the MK IIIs.

I suspect your ST-120 would be terrific. Way more power than you will ever need.

Did you have a specific question about the match up?
    just curious about those Altecs, I am using PI 4 speakers now.
    WLT
    WLT

Post by WLT on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:26 pm

Did you mean these http://www.pispeakers.com/Measurements/fourPi.html

If so the Altec 19 would be similar. I have never heard yours but they look like a very similar design to the the 19s. The 19s have become very expensive over the last several years. Justified - maybe but maybe not. Your speakers might be on par with them but the only way to tell is to put them side by side.

I really like the HF horn design for the Altecs with the replaceable diaphragms. Pro audio for sure. Alnico magnets are the best. They do have some limitations. Many people would prefer a more modern design cabinet with smaller drivers. My Altecs/Dynacos can be on 12 hours a day I do not not get tired of listening to them. Easy on the ears.

music

Post by music on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:12 pm

WLT wrote:Did you mean these http://www.pispeakers.com/Measurements/fourPi.html

If so the Altec 19 would be similar. I have never heard yours but they look like a very similar design to the the 19s. The 19s have become very expensive over the last several years. Justified - maybe but maybe not. Your speakers might be on par with them but the only way to tell is to put them side by side.

I really like the HF horn design for the Altecs with the replaceable diaphragms. Pro audio for sure. Alnico magnets are the best. They do have some limitations. Many people would prefer a more modern design cabinet with smaller drivers. My Altecs/Dynacos can be on 12 hours a day I do not not get tired of listening to them. Easy on the ears.

Yes, those are the speakers, by Wayne Parham
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:32 pm

WLT wrote:Did you mean these http://www.pispeakers.com/Measurements/fourPi.html

A "smaller driver" (less than 8") is a woofer only in Lilliput.
    I am not a fan of horn drivers as I strongly prefer (possibly irrationally) a wide vs. narrow sound stage. Horn speakers are quite directional, thereby rendering greater efficiency, and can be very accurate. But, again, I prefer domes for the high-end. I am also not a fan of so-called 'sweet spots', for the same reasons. And I also keep Dynaco speakers - and feel much the same about them.

Ah, well.
    WLT
    WLT

Post by WLT on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:58 pm

I also have a pair of Von Schweikert VR2 speakers that I would characterize as a modern hi tech speaker with a nice dome tweeter. Dual 6.5” woofers in a transmission line design. Those are in my office and the Altec 615 Duplex speakers are in the adjacent room (former family room). With Dynaco tube amps in both rooms and the same source I can just walk between the rooms to hear the differences in the speakers. And they are very different. I see why people like the nice domes but I still prefer the Altecs.

When I sold off the Altec 9846 I kept the Altec duplexes with the paratoner horn. I did so because of the way they work. Still an efficient horn but a much different arrangement than the large sectoral horn of the 9846. If you get a chance I recommend listening to them as they have very wide dispersion. No more of a sweet spot speaker than many others. Not as bright sounding as the domes though.

One major advantage of a large efficient horn speaker is being able to use medium power tube amps. The Von Schweikerts are 87.5 db/w/m while the Altec 615 are 97 db/w/4’. The amps never seem to run out of headroom.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:04 am