The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

60 Hz Hum, and What it Feels Like

Peter W.
    Peter W.

60 Hz Hum, and What it Feels Like Empty 60 Hz Hum, and What it Feels Like

Post by Peter W. Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:41 am

As an aside, I toured the Veolia Steam Plant in Philadelphia, yesterday. This plant has been in continuous operation since it opened in 1909, and is quite a remarkable place. I got to be up-close-and-personal with the equipment, including the steam and gas turbines, the boilers, pumps, controls, switchgear, powerhouse and uplink.

Standing under the main step-up transformer (2,300 VAC to 23,000 VAC) is a truly visceral experience. Once one feels that level of "HUM", one will never mistake 60 for 120 ever again.

Relevance:

60 HZ hum suggests a bad or failing rectifier.
    120 HZ hum suggests bad or failing filter caps.
    50 & 100 for our Euro and Asian friends.

Amazing amount of mechanical-feedback devices in use in these plants - it seems that VFDs and  great many "modern" grid-tie devices are simply not sufficiently reliable at these levels.

I also looked for 4-pole, double-throw knife-switches for Dave - and they would have given them to me from the older, now moth-balled equipment. But I would have needed a winch and a fork-lift to move them. Sorry, Dave!
    deepee99
    deepee99

60 Hz Hum, and What it Feels Like Empty Re: 60 Hz Hum, and What it Feels Like

Post by deepee99 Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:06 pm

Peter,
    Thanks for keeping an eye out for me. I have heard 60Hz up close and personal. Grand Coulee Dam is not far from us.
    -d-
    StevieRay

Post by StevieRay Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:21 pm

Yep, being in an enclosed space around distribution transformers is also downright SCARY -- what if one decided to blow?  Arc Flash gear, my butt -- you might only be a dark spot left on the floor.

I've been either working in an Industrial manufacturing facility or selling electrical and (mostly) automation goods and services since 1985.  it never ceases to amaze me at the things i see, both dangerous and enchanting -- so much and yet so little has changed through the years!!!
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:34 pm

We went to a wind farm in southern Idaho. Our normally friendly and outgoing dog took cover near those transformers and shook like he was passing peach-pits.
    Speaking of AC (or DC for that matter), you don't fully understand the "work on live circuits with one hand behind your back" axiom until you've been nipped once.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:08 am