The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

PS Audio Directstream DAC

audiobill

PS Audio Directstream DAC Empty PS Audio Directstream DAC

Post by audiobill Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:20 pm

At my last outing, I built and thoroughly enjoyed the Audio Note 4.1 LE all tube multibit nonoversampling dac.

With a great offer for it in trade for my recently acquired Conrad-Johnson Premier 140s (more than I paid for the Audio Note), I thought I might use the opportunity to try something a little different (!) and got another outstanding deal on a new in box PS Audio Directstream DAC. You can read the universal reviews and accolades of this piece, but I'll just share my initial impressions, and will do a follow up later, after complete burn-in (said to be 250-300 hours). Whether you subscribe to burn in or not, an extended listening period will refine my impressions.

The Directstream is an FPGA dac, hand coded by Ted Smith, an MIT PhD and former senior Microsoft engineer, so I'd guess he has the chops to pull this off.

Here's what I hear, with about 35 hours on the dac streaming Tidal HiFi (16/44 and MQA) through my custom VTA SP14 preamp, M125s or biamped Conrad Johnson Premier 140s and Magneplanar 3.6/R speakers, carefully positioned- the latest software, Snowmass, arrived in the dac.

The AudioNote 4.1LE has a midrange and sense of "you are there" to die for. The Directstream, which is also transformer coupled at its output, maintains this glorious midrange but adds extension at both the low and high end. The lows are very solid, articulate and convey all the harmonics a real acoustic string bass is capable of. Wonderful!

With a noise floor of -130 to -140 db, the highs are very detailed with no sheen, screeching, dentist drill effect or other digital nasties that most delta-sigma chips can produce.
    Like having all the goodness of a good multibit dac with none of the drawbacks. With the transformer coupled output acting as a low pass filter, both the Directstream and the Audionote do a great job of avoiding the usual digititis. No opamps or other uninspired cost savings measures in either dac.

The Directstream, with it's quiet, extended response conveys a nice sense of fullness, very satisfying.

Dynamics, decay, and really impressive imaging and soundstaging are all attributes of the Directstream, and the "impact" of leading edges such as the strike of a piano key, the pluck of a guitar string or the "blat" of a trumpet really bring music to life. Toes a tappin!

More to come later, but this dac is a keeper, especially with the regularly updated software as Ted Smith continues to refine his code. Like regularly having a new, updated dac at no additional cost.

Strongly recommended. Expensive, but if you shop carefully.......

BTW, the Directstream Jr, with the same FPGA code but recently discontinued is a great buy. PS Audio will continue to support the Jr.

Later -

Bill
    10-E-C
    10-E-C

PS Audio Directstream DAC Empty Re: PS Audio Directstream DAC

Post by 10-E-C Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:46 pm

audiobill wrote:At my last outing, I built and thoroughly enjoyed the Audio Note 4.1 LE all tube multibit nonoversampling dac.

With a great offer for it in trade for my recently acquired Conrad-Johnson Premier 140s (more than I paid for the Audio Note), I thought I might use the opportunity to try something a little different (!) and got another outstanding deal on a new in box PS Audio Directstream DAC.  You can read the universal reviews and accolades of this piece, but I'll just share my initial impressions, and will do a follow up later, after complete burn-in (said to be 250-300 hours). Whether you subscribe to burn in or not, an extended listening period will refine my impressions.

The Directstream is an FPGA dac, hand coded by Ted Smith, an MIT PhD and former senior Microsoft engineer, so I'd guess he has the chops to pull this off.

Here's what I hear, with about 35 hours on the dac streaming Tidal HiFi (16/44 and MQA) through my custom VTA SP14 preamp, M125s or biamped Conrad Johnson Premier 140s and Magneplanar 3.6/R speakers, carefully positioned- the latest software, Snowmass, arrived in the dac.  

The AudioNote 4.1LE has a midrange and sense of "you are there" to die for.  The Directstream, which is also transformer coupled at its output, maintains this glorious midrange but adds extension at both the low and high end.  The lows are very solid, articulate and convey all the harmonics a real acoustic string bass is capable of.  Wonderful!

With a noise floor of -130 to -140 db, the highs are very detailed with no sheen, screeching, dentist drill effect or other digital nasties that most delta-sigma chips can produce.
    Like having all the goodness of a good multibit dac with none of the drawbacks.  With the transformer coupled output acting as a low pass filter, both the Directstream and the Audionote do a great job of avoiding the usual digititis.  No opamps or other uninspired cost savings measures in either dac.

The Directstream, with it's quiet, extended response conveys a nice sense of fullness, very satisfying.

Dynamics, decay, and really impressive imaging and soundstaging are all attributes of the Directstream, and the "impact" of leading edges such as the strike of a piano key, the pluck of a guitar string or the "blat" of a trumpet really bring music to life.  Toes a tappin!

More to come later, but this dac is a keeper, especially with the regularly updated software as Ted Smith continues to refine his code.  Like regularly having a new, updated dac at no additional cost.

Strongly recommended.  Expensive, but if you shop carefully.......

BTW, the Directstream Jr, with the same FPGA code but recently discontinued is a great buy.  PS Audio will continue to support the Jr.

Later -

Bill

I have been using the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC with their transport for about 1 and 1/2 years and it had been an eye opening piece of equipment. As you stated Ted updates fairly often, I think I've had 4 updates so far, and every update is like getting a new DAC. I'm very familiar with the gate array logic (FPGA), we use that logic in the CPU boards of the computer company I use to work on many years ago. Best deal is the updates are FREE!!!!

TM
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:55 pm

Nice Bill, congratulations, enjoy! That looks like an amazing dac. Post some pictures of the 140s when you can.
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:16 pm

PS Audio Directstream DAC Img_0110
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:17 pm

As requested!!
    bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:26 pm

Nice update on your system audiobill..quite fascinating your description comparing the Audionote and the PS DIRECT stream dacs. I believe the most important or revelant aspect when listening to music is how the music is recorded and how your system reproduces the music to full potential which IMO is the theoretical belief that I am at a live performance. Speaker placement and availability of a construct to afford one of a live performance also formulates your impression of what we are hearing. No doubt the PS AUDIO is an enhancement as with the Audionote but the question for me would be how different, what improvement is that pseudo live performance am I hearing in my room that I was not hearing before. Better yet what is the ultimate value placed on a false narrative of an actual live performance and streaming TIDAL thru two dacs centered on two different appendages offering a life like performance. All in all audiobill my Audionote 4.1LE is very impressive and leads me to higher expectations in the mid-range and treble..most important the mid-range. It seems you are very impressed with the PS-Audio and I will look forward toward your final decision in making the ultimate choice in digital audio conversion.
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:31 am

audiobill wrote:As requested!!

Those 140s look incredible, in bi-amp mode and with the new dac everything must sound very nice indeed.
    mmmbeer

Post by mmmbeer Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Mine shows up tomorrow!! Woohoo!  I'm happy to read this.  Cheers
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:40 pm

mmmbeer wrote:Mine shows up tomorrow!! Woohoo!  I'm happy to read this.  Cheers

Report back too! Cool
    mmmbeer

Post by mmmbeer Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:15 pm

Aw man it sounds sweet!PS Audio Directstream DAC 963e4d10
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:15 am

Leave tunes playing through it constantly for two-three weeks. No need to have amp on constantly, of course.

I have no real reason for burn-in like this, but it is real.  Trust me on this, and welcome to the Directstream family!
    mmmbeer

Post by mmmbeer Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:16 pm

audiobill wrote:Leave tunes playing through it constantly for two-three weeks.  No need to have amp on constantly, of course.

I have no real reason for burn-in like this, but it is real.  Trust me on this, and welcome to the Directstream family!

Done and done.  It's been running non stop since I got it.

Did you see the new DAC they announced yesterday at axpona? It will be in the range of 20K....so pretty much my entire system budget!
    10-E-C
    10-E-C

Post by 10-E-C Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:16 pm

mmmbeer wrote:
    audiobill wrote:Leave tunes playing through it constantly for two-three weeks.  No need to have amp on constantly, of course.

Done and done.  It's been running non stop since I got it.

Did you see the new DAC they announced yesterday at axpona? It will be in the range of 20K....so pretty much my entire system budget!

I saw the new Dac system, I'll just keep my DS Dac and hope they continue the free upgrade software program
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:14 am

mmmbeer, how is your new dac warming in?
    mmmbeer

Post by mmmbeer Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:40 pm

It is sounding great! Thanks for asking.

Weird series of events though. I am forced to remove those big power tubes from my system as I have 2 toddlers running around. So I bought a PS Audio BHK250 amp to drive my speakers (B&W 804d3). I am just running the DSD DAC > BHK250 and it sounds like shit. I went with the amp because I figured it would match well, being the same company and all, but it sounds SO much better feeding direct into my VTA amp. There is an audible hiss at any listening position. I switch in the VTA Amp and it goes away. I throw in my SP14 preamp (from office setup) and it goes away--which I can't have at home either because I put tubes on top!. So, either I need to return this thing and buy a new Amp, or buy a Preamp. Weird. It's kind of frustrating the PS Audio stuff doesn't like each other.

....and down another rabbit hole I go

Cheers
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:36 pm

Just get another SP14 and enjoy - even PS Audio recommends using a pre.
    10-E-C
    10-E-C

Post by 10-E-C Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:00 pm

mmmbeer wrote:It is sounding great! Thanks for asking.

Weird series of events though.  I am forced to remove those big power tubes from my system as I have 2 toddlers running around.  So I bought a PS Audio BHK250 amp to drive my speakers (B&W 804d3).  I am just running the DSD DAC > BHK250 and it sounds like shit.  I went with the amp because I figured it would match well, being the same company and all, but it sounds SO much better feeding direct into my VTA amp. There is an audible hiss at any listening position.  I switch in the VTA Amp and it goes away.  I throw in my SP14 preamp (from office setup) and it goes away--which I can't have at home either because I put tubes on top!.  So, either I need to return this thing and buy a new Amp, or buy a Preamp.  Weird. It's kind of frustrating the PS Audio stuff doesn't like each other.

....and down another rabbit hole I go

Cheers

I ran the PS Audio DSD straight into the PS Audio BHK 300 mono blocks with no hint of noise or hiss at all. I uses XLR cables to connect them. Then I tried from the DsD to a Don Sachs pre amp and then out to my BHK mono blocks there was a hum, I tried every thing possible to eliminate the hum but couldn't, so I removed the tube pre and all is quiet again.

TM
    mmmbeer

Post by mmmbeer Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:11 pm

Oh man, I am having the exact opposite problem!  However, I do use the -20db attenuator on the DAC and it gets rid of most of the noise.  But then I'm listening at 80ish volume level.   I'm sure their support couldn't be much help for you since they didn't make the pre.  

I was actually thinking of getting one of those bob sach pre's instead of the BHK.  I'm not sure of anything now haha.  I'm worried about dropping the money on the pre and it not fixing the problem. Have you tried any other preamp by chance?
    10-E-C
    10-E-C

Post by 10-E-C Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:34 pm

mmmbeer wrote:Oh man, I am having the exact opposite problem!  However, I do use the -20db attenuator on the DAC and it gets rid of most of the noise.  But then I'm listening at 80ish volume level.   I'm sure their support couldn't be much help for you since they didn't make the pre.  

I was actually thinking of getting one of those bob sach pre's instead of the BHK.  I'm not sure of anything now haha.  I'm worried about dropping the money on the pre and it not fixing the problem.  Have you tried any other preamp by chance?

Over the last couple of years I've been acquiring used PS Audio equipment. I got a real deal on the mono blocks, transport and dac, I was patient to find the deals. For some reason every tube pre amp I tried (3 in total) has hum with my PS audio equipment, Sacks, another DIY tube amp and even borrowed a AR SP9 from a friend who owns an audio shop, all hummed. They were driving 96db speakers. So I waited around and found a good deal on a used BHK pre and all is well again. I hooked up Sacks pre to a DIY Amp Clamp Amp by Nelson Pass to drive a pair of Klipsch Forte IIs. For 8 watts class A the combo sounds really good. Go figure
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:55 am

No hum at all here with Directstream ->SP14 -> Conrad Johnson Premier 140s OR VTA M125s -> Magneplanar 3.6/R.  I think your problems may lie elsewhere?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am