The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
audiobill
ImFritz
6 posters

Found on US Audio Mart VTA SP14

ImFritz

Found on US Audio Mart VTA SP14 Empty Found on US Audio Mart VTA SP14

Post by ImFritz Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:18 pm

Found on US Audio Mart. I went ahead and bought it. Its on the way! Seller states it has been upgraded. Got it for 800 bucks. What do you all think.
    Ill be running it with my VTA ST120 that I got from Bob. Also I recently acquired Maggie 1.7is that so far I'm extremely pleased with. Next Im going to get the PH14 or the PH16 phono preamp. Which one should I get?? Any recommendations are appreciated.
    Here's the listing and a pic of the SP14. Thoughts?

I am the second owner. The original owner purchased the unit new in 2014 for a second system. The unit was built by Roy Mottram, the original designer of the preamp. The original owner upgraded the unit to include Jupiter HT caps, additional Mundorf caps, new ofc wire for DAC and Tuner inputs, new upgraded resistors, new Khozmo 48 step volume control, Bendix Rectifier tube and 4 NOS RCA (WGTA) 6SN7 tubes. He virtually upgraded all of the sonically critical parts. The faceplate and rear panel are cosmetically excellent. The top cover has two small scratches and some inconsistencies in the finish that may be the result of poor anodizing, but not that bad really, thus the 7/10 rating. Other than that, the preamp functions flawlessly and sounds great.

includes the following:

2x Electro Harmonix 6SN7
    4x TungSol re-issue 6SN7
    4x RCA WGTA NOS 6SN7 (purchased from Brent Jessee)
    4x Sylvania NOS 6SN7WGT brown base
    1x Bendix 6X5

The EH and TungSol tubes are new with less than 100 hours on each.

https://i.gyazo.com/2984a8581671a39d5898151ea0c4358e.jpg
    audiobill

Found on US Audio Mart VTA SP14 Empty Re: Found on US Audio Mart VTA SP14

Post by audiobill Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:45 pm

Enjoy!!
    rjpjnk

Post by rjpjnk Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:48 pm

Seems like a great price, about half what it would cost new, right? Looks to be in excellent condition. I would probably modify that volume knob or shaft so they all match. Minor detail.

Tough call on the phono stage. Since you have to go with another box in either case, I'm thinking go with the best. Roy used to sell a PH12 that you probably could have squeezed in there if you wanted to, but I don't see it listed any more.

Congrats on the great find!
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the main difference between the 14 and 16 is that you can set the 16 to use a lower output moving coil cart. while the 14 is basically for the moving magnet cart.

I use the PH 14 with an Ortofon 2M Black (recommended by deepee) and the SP 14 (into a VTA St 70).

The only problem with it is that I'm a gear head and there doesn't seem to be anything else I could possibly need to spin my records. Killer gear.
    slate1
    slate1

Post by slate1 Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:19 pm

The volume knob is offset due to the shaft on the Khozmo volume control. I’d say you got an excellent deal and I can not possibly recommend the PH16 enough. It’s outstanding.
    ImFritz

Post by ImFritz Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks for the reply's guys.
    I'm thinking the PH16 as well. I have a U-Turn custom Orbit turntable on the way with the Ortofon 2m blue. I have absolutely no experience with turntables at all. scratch
    Feel free to comment and set me on the right path. Thanks again.
    bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:24 pm

Nice!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:01 am