The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Headphone Impedance Question

scrotuss

Headphone Impedance Question Empty Headphone Impedance Question

Post by scrotuss Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:08 pm

I have a couple of amazon cheapo devices (one d/a converter and one class D amp) that have headphone outputs.  Unfortunately, my headphones of choice are the good old Koss Pro4aa (despite the cauliflower ear and neckache, I love 'em) which have a 250 ohm impedance.  The headphone outputs of these devices are designed for low impedance phones and I can't get loud volume with my phones.  Does anyone know of a cheap and dirty inline audio transformer for headphone impedance matching?- a 10:1 ratio would probably be perfect.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Headphone Impedance Question Empty Re: Headphone Impedance Question

Post by Peter W. Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:20 am

You could probably make one - look for a 10:1 audio grade transformer (pair) from Hammond, Mouser or similar. But, better you should look into a pair of Grado low-impedance headphones - made in Brooklyn, NY - and go from there. They are open-air, over-the-ear devices and do very nicely.

I am in training this week, and so have no time to hunt around, but I keep a pair of 4AAA and Grados for the varying needs.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:37 pm

scrotuss

Post by scrotuss Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:47 pm

Thanks Peter. That is more than what I was looking to do. I guess that people with high impedance cans are expected to go out and get a fancy headphone amp.  I looked at the Grado site- Unfortunately, all open back phones... not what I need for my application.  I might spring $60 for a pair of Status headphones on Amazon- they seem to be well regarded, if flimsy.
    scrotuss

Headphone Impedance Question Empty cMoy Headphone Amp Circuit

Post by scrotuss Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:30 pm

Does anyone have any experience with one of these?  It looks like the design has been around for a few years, and many have tweaked it.
    Seems the one design feature cast in concrete is that it must fit into an Altoids box.
    I was looking at a kit from JDS labs > https://jdslabs.com/product/cmoybb-diy-kit-standard/.  It looks like a fun kit and it can be tailored to high impedance headphones.
    Zimmer64
    Zimmer64

Post by Zimmer64 Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:42 pm

What is your source? If from a computer or phone, maybe a Cyrus Soundkey or a AudioQuest Dragonfly or an Apogee Groove is an alternative. Or a full fledged headphone amp.
    scrotuss

Post by scrotuss Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:07 pm

Zimmer64 wrote:What is your source? If from a computer or phone, maybe a Cyrus Soundkey or a AudioQuest Dragonfly or an Apogee Groove is an alternative. Or a full fledged headphone amp.
    I checked and it seems that those products are DACs. I don't need a DAC.  I've got a few devices (DAC, CD player, etc.) with earphone/headphone outs designed for low impedance phones, and I'd like to use my 250 ohm headphones- the low impedance outputs won't drive the phones sufficiently. Even the cMoy amp kit I'm looking at requires 18v ( pwr. supply or 2-9v batteries) in order to drive high impedance phones.  I was hoping that someone sold a cheap'n'dirty inline matching transformer, but no dice.

The sources I'm talking about here are not what I'd consider to be HiFi, so I'm more interested in size and convenience here..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am