The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Daisy chaining power strips?

Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Daisy chaining power strips? Empty Daisy chaining power strips?

Post by Dave_in_Va Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:21 pm

Confusing post deleted. I'll rephrase it soon.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Daisy chaining power strips? Empty Re: Daisy chaining power strips?

Post by Peter W. Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:47 am

And never a good idea - unless the collective load is tiny.
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:26 am

Maybe this will be clearer:

Wall outlet>>>>>GFCI>>>>one foot 14 gauge cord to two outlet strip>>>>

>>>>One outlet (of the two outlet strip) goes to a bucker into a four foot 14 gauge cord terminating in another strip with my three VTA amps (St 70, SP 15, PH 15) plugged in (115/116v)

>>>>the other outlet goes to a four foot 14 gauge cord terminating in a twelve outlet strip where everything else is plugged in (CD player, LED light, turntable, reel to reels, CD burner, tube buffer, etc.) 122/123v

Many posts here have suggested running all of the audio gear off the same outlet to avoid ground problems so this is about the only way I can see to hook everything up and still have my VTA gear running at the proper voltages.

I *think* that since everything is on the GFCI and the power strips have circuit breakers, it should be okay. It's been running like this for three-four years, no problems and the GFCI works like a charm.

I don't think it would be a good idea to run everything off the bucker as it's a 4 amp box.

(Of course, not all of this stuff would ever run at the same time.)

Make sense?

Thanks.

Tom

Post by Tom Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:35 pm

Daisy chaining is a safety violation at my workplace.
    Any multi-outlet device must be plugged into the wall outlet individually.
    Your mileage may vary.
    Very Happy
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:33 pm

Well, what's the worst that can happen? The GFCI trips? The circuit breaker in the power strip trips? The main panel circuit breaker trips?

If this is really dangerous, I have two choices:

1. Quit listening to music.
    2. Hire an electrician to knock a hole in the wall and install and wire up another outlet. But then I'd have my gear on two separate circuits which posters here have always said is a bad idea (ground hums).

I'm a record collector, not an EE. I just don't understand the admonishments agains hooking two power strips together (unless you're running refrigerators, air conditioners, air compressors, etc.)
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:43 pm

Dave_in_Va wrote:Well, what's the worst that can happen? The GFCI trips? The circuit breaker in the power strip trips? The main panel circuit breaker trips?

If this is really dangerous, I have two choices:

1. Quit listening to music.
    2. Hire an electrician to knock a hole in the wall and install and wire up another outlet. But then I'd have my gear on two separate circuits which posters here have always said is a bad idea (ground hums).

I'm a record collector, not an EE. I just don't understand the admonishments agains hooking two power strips together (unless you're running refrigerators, air conditioners, air compressors, etc.)

Dave,

I would give it a try ... I think you are correct in you assessment of the situation when you say " what's the worst that can happen? The GFCI trips? The circuit breaker in the power strip trips? The main panel circuit breaker trips?"

Bob
    Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:52 am

Dave, I do the same. Just from time to time touch the power strips to be sure they are not getting on the hot side; especially the FIRST one in the chain ; it will carry the total load.
    You could also replace the 20 amp breaker for that circuit in your main power panel with a 15 amp. That way, total load could not exceed 15a which is probably the rate of your strips. Dale

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:20 am