The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

My review of the VTA ST-120 Amplifier.

HarryY
    HarryY

My review of the VTA ST-120 Amplifier. Empty My review of the VTA ST-120 Amplifier.

Post by HarryY Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:10 pm

My review of the VTA ST-120 Amplifier.

I had been looking for a nice tube amp kit, and I kept coming back to the VTA line
    of Amplifiers so after a short e-mail exchange and a phone call I was the new owner
    of a ST-120. The kit arrived quickly and was well packed. After a read through of
    the instructions and an inventory it was down to building.

The build was straightforward and the included pictorials and photo
    of the completed kit helped to clarify questions along the way.

When I was finished I hooked it up in my den/shop and was pleasantly surprised.
    I was expecting it to sound good, but not this good!  I let it run for a few hours
    then relocated it to my living room and connected it to my main speakers and
    I was greeted by a surprisingly full sound.

The audio was crisp and clear with a nice balance of highs and lows. I rolled through
    various music selections from rock to classical. All of it sounding crisp and clean.

Then came "The Test", Since sometimes we can convince ourselves something is better
    than it is I had my wife come out and listen. She asked me to put on some Pavarotti.
    She said it was so clear and that she could really hear his voice distinct from the music.
    I would call that a pretty successful test.

Tube Used: Four KT-120 Tubes, Three 12BH7 Tubes, One 5AR4 Rectifier Tube.

Gabriel likes this post

Kray
    Kray

My review of the VTA ST-120 Amplifier. Empty Re: My review of the VTA ST-120 Amplifier.

Post by Kray Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:43 pm

Very nice... what 12BH7's are you using?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

My review of the VTA ST-120 Amplifier. Empty Re: My review of the VTA ST-120 Amplifier.

Post by Bob Latino Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:08 pm

HarryY wrote:My review of the VTA ST-120 Amplifier.

I had been looking for a nice tube amp kit, and I kept coming back to the VTA line
    of Amplifiers so after a short e-mail exchange and a phone call I was the new owner
    of a ST-120. The kit arrived quickly and was well packed. After a read through of
    the instructions and an inventory it was down to building.

The build was straightforward and the included pictorials and photo
    of the completed kit helped to clarify questions along the way.

When I was finished I hooked it up in my den/shop and was pleasantly surprised.
    I was expecting it to sound good, but not this good!  I let it run for a few hours
    then relocated it to my living room and connected it to my main speakers and
    I was greeted by a surprisingly full sound.

The audio was crisp and clear with a nice balance of highs and lows. I rolled through
    various music selections from rock to classical. All of it sounding crisp and clean.

Then came "The Test", Since sometimes we can convince ourselves something is better
    than it is I had my wife come out and listen. She asked me to put on some Pavarotti.
    She said it was so clear and that she could really hear his voice distinct from the music.
    I would call that a pretty successful test.

Tube Used: Four KT-120 Tubes, Three 12BH7 Tubes, One 5AR4 Rectifier Tube.

Hi Harry,

Thanks for your kind review of the VTA ST-120 amp kit. The normal driver tube in all the VTA amps (since April of 2012) is a 12AU7 type tube. This also includes the military/industrial versions of the 12AU7 > the 5963, 5814 and 6189 tubes. You can also use a 12BH7 in any VTA amp. 12BH7's have a very slightly lower gain than a 12AU7 but work just as good as a 12AU7's in these amps. A lot of people like the 12BH7's because they are slightly taller tube than than a 12AU7. The nice thing about 12AU7 and 12BH7 tubes is that you can still get old stock USA made GE, RCA and Sylvania versions at fairly reasonable prices on Ebay and from other online vendors.

Bob
    HarryY
    HarryY

Post by HarryY Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:53 pm

Kray wrote:Very nice... what 12BH7's are you using?

These are the ones I have installed.

Electro Harmonix EH Platinum Matched TRIO (THREE)12BH7 GOLD tubes Gold Pins
    LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:02 pm

I'm interested in your unique avatar. Any chance Rod Serling Twilight Zone related?

HarryY
    HarryY

Post by HarryY Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:05 pm

LeGrace wrote:I'm interested in your unique avatar. Any chance Rod Serling Twilight Zone related?

Mr Henry Bemis

Time enough at last

LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:16 pm

HarryY wrote:
    LeGrace wrote:I'm interested in your unique avatar. Any chance Rod Serling Twilight Zone related?

Mr Henry Bemis

Time enough at last

Thanks! I was pretty sure it was that episode where the guy survives a nuclear Holocaust because he was inside a bank vault. It's the glasses. So odd the things that you can recall from so many years ago.
    HarryY
    HarryY

Post by HarryY Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:20 pm

LeGrace wrote:
    HarryY wrote:

Mr Henry Bemis

Time enough at last

Thanks! I was pretty sure it was that episode where the guy survives a nuclear Holocaust because he was inside a bank vault. It's the glasses. So odd the things that you can recall from so many years ago.  

I have the complete series here.

Someday I will have time enough to watch them all

LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:32 pm

HarryY wrote:
    LeGrace wrote:
    HarryY wrote:

Mr Henry Bemis

Time enough at last

I have the complete series here.

Someday I will have time enough to watch them all

Clever riposte!

Re the VTA120 glad you are enjoying. If the 5AR4 flashes and fails on you, investigate GZ37 or GZ33. Way more robust.
    HarryY
    HarryY

Post by HarryY Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:18 pm

LeGrace wrote:

Clever riposte!

Re the VTA120 glad you are enjoying. If the 5AR4 flashes and fails on you, investigate GZ37 or GZ33. Way more robust.  

Thank you

I did include the "yellow sheet mod" as I built it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:31 am