The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

ST-70 Rebuild

chad1376
    chad1376

ST-70 Rebuild Empty ST-70 Rebuild

Post by chad1376 Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:07 am

Hello all - my first post here.

I'm diving into the second re-wire of my ST-70, and thought I'd do a rebuild thread.  I originally bought and refurbished this amp about 20-years ago.    It was my first piece of tube equipment, and in hindsight, I had done several things that have been bugging me.  Most critically, it recently has been suffering from rectifier arc-over.  Searching for answers, I kept getting linked to this forum, and I believe I know the several things I had done wrong, and will correct them this time around.  In tearing down the amp, I also found several wires that had lost a good solder joint.  I'm not looking to hot-rod the amp too much.  I just want to have a solid and reliable amp again.

A bunch of parts are on order - every cap and resistor is being replaced.

I was going to link a few photo's, but it looks like I need to wait a week before I have rights.  I'll post them up as soon as I'm able.

<< I did get a pre-teardown picture in my avatar though Wink

Chad
    chad1376
    chad1376

ST-70 Rebuild Empty Re: ST-70 Rebuild

Post by chad1376 Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:48 pm

OK - by the time I could link pictures, the amp was darn near done. Here's a quick rundown of the resto:

Stripped down chassis.
    ST-70 Rebuild I-d2HfwRQ-L

Removed components and bits of clipped wire from the hardware to be re-used.  That's an older version of the Triode driver board.
    ST-70 Rebuild I-PJcf7Z7-L

DIY chassis powdercoat
    ST-70 Rebuild I-33W8J46-L

ST-70 Rebuild I-2wkVxKc-L

ST-70 Rebuild I-Dw2WPtr-L

ST-70 Rebuild I-nwQQNH6-L

ST-70 Rebuild I-HC3Wrpn-L

Rewire - essentially a stock circuit.  The only changes are:
    - Diode in lieu of the selenium rectifier
    - Diodes added to the rectifier
    - Used a 10 ohm resistors for the bias check, instead of the 14.5 ohm.  Bias set to 1v.
    The old cloth wires on the transformer were badly rotted and disintegrating.  I spliced new wires as close to the windings as I could.  I used silicone at the splices to keep the wires from moving around too much while tugged on them during wiring.
    ST-70 Rebuild I-3RzzfG2-L

The amp fired up with no issues.  I set the bias (actually at 0.9v) and everything works great!
    ST-70 Rebuild I-6XFXNq8-L

ST-70 Rebuild I-FwQ9xtj-L
    chad1376
    chad1376

Post by chad1376 Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:24 am

Update:  After firing up the amp, I found the bass to be quite weak.  I had hoped that it was new tubes that needed some run-in time.  I think it was the Triode board.  My board was an old version, and the latest documentation is for a board with a slightly different layout.  It's likely that I mixed up some resistor locations.  Rather than track all that down, I ordered a VTA board.  It was shipped very quickly, and I was able to solder it up this weekend.  There was quite a bit of re-wiring required, and I had to clip out a lot of freshly installed components.   It was 100% worth it.  The amp sounds the way it should now.  I'm confident I'll have a reliable amp for many years to come.

ST-70 Rebuild I-rKthzMT-L

Post by Guest Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:45 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    MechEngVic
    MechEngVic

Post by MechEngVic Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:58 pm

At first I was "RED?!?!" but then you put on the burgundy, it's unique and gorgeous.
    chad1376
    chad1376

Post by chad1376 Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:28 pm

Thank you - I'm very happy with the look.  Just for reference - I used this powder coat:

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/aussies-anodized-red-transparent-flat.html

It's slightly translucent and needs a reflective undercoating.  The nickel plating worked well for this, except some of the darker pitting and scratches still show through (most of the deep scratches were on the bottom.)  I considered coating the transformer covers too, but I got lazy.  Those would have needed to be stripped, then an underlying coat of silver before applying the red.  I also wasn't sure I would get them to exactly match, since the undercoating would have been different.

Last edited by chad1376 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added content)

Post by Guest Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:49 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    chad1376
    chad1376

Post by chad1376 Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:58 pm

PeterCapo wrote:Transformer covers... I'm facing a difficult decision about mine.  I'm poised to rebuild a Stereo 70, but I am not sure I will be able to manage refinishing the end bells.  They are borderline, cosmetically.

FWIW

Hammertone/Hammerite paint hides a lot of sins, and I think it looks appropriate for vintage equipment.  Depending how bad they are, I'd say straighten out the worst of the dings or whatever,  sand/roughen the stock paint,  maybe even apply a bit of body filler if needed, and hit-em with the hammer paint. Wink

If you look very closely at my pictures (the one with the covers on the table), you can see the hammer finish.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm