The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

FM 3 went silent

billy-toby

FM 3 went silent Empty FM 3 went silent

Post by billy-toby Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:39 pm

Hello Folks,

Hoping someone can offer advice. I was listening to my FM 3 tuner the other day, and suddenly the whole unit went silent. All the tubes remained lighted (including the tuning eye), but there is no sound whatever. No hum, no hiss, no static, no nothing.

I thought maybe something in the audio section went south on me, but would that wouldn't affect the signal strength, would it? The tuning eye still lights up properly, but now it shows no sign of a signal.

Then, I thought something on the RF board went out, but wouldn't that still allow SOME kind of noise to be heard? I can turn the tuner's volume control up fully and still hear nothing.

Thanks for whatever help anyone can offer.

Billy-Toby
    HarryY
    HarryY

FM 3 went silent Empty Re: FM 3 went silent

Post by HarryY Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:56 am

Bad rectifier tube?

billy-toby

Post by billy-toby Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:16 pm

Nope, but thanks anyway. All the tubes are lighted.

Billy-Toby
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:26 pm

billy-toby wrote:Nope, but thanks anyway.  All the tubes are lighted.

Billy-Toby

Just because a tube lights up is no assurance that the tube is still good. It could still be bad. The fact that it still lights up just means that the filament is still good.

Bob
    billy-toby

Post by billy-toby Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:41 am

Point well taken, Bob, and thanks. Unfortunately, a replaced rectifier tube had no effect. Everything still lights up, but the unit otherwise just seems dead.

I'm thinking that if I were only experiencing a loss of signal, the unit could still be heard hissing or humming or something. But everything is as quiet as if it weren't even plugged in.

Could I have lost the B+ even though the rectifier tube seems ok?

Cheers, Billy-Toby
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:03 am

billy-toby wrote:Point well taken, Bob, and thanks.  Unfortunately, a replaced rectifier tube had no effect.  Everything still lights up, but the unit otherwise just seems dead.

I'm thinking that if I were only experiencing a loss of signal, the unit could still be heard hissing or humming or something. But everything is as quiet as if it weren't even plugged in.

Could I have lost the B+ even though the rectifier tube seems ok?

Cheers, Billy-Toby
    Whats the voltages compared to the manual ?
    billy-toby

Post by billy-toby Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:54 am

Yes, It looks like I'll surely need to check voltages. Thanks. I really didn't know where to begin the trouble-shooting.

Cheers, Billy-Toby
    Drummerboy2

Post by Drummerboy2 Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:18 pm

billy-toby wrote:Hello Folks,

Hoping someone can offer advice. I was listening to my FM 3 tuner the other day, and suddenly the whole unit went silent. All the tubes remained lighted (including the tuning eye), but there is no sound whatever. No hum, no hiss, no static, no nothing.

I thought maybe something in the audio section went south on me, but would that wouldn't affect the signal strength, would it? The tuning eye still lights up properly, but now it shows no sign of a signal.

Then, I thought something on the RF board went out, but wouldn't that still allow SOME kind of noise to be heard? I can turn the tuner's volume control up fully and still hear nothing.

Thanks for whatever help anyone can offer.

Billy-Toby

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your Dynaco FM 3?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am