The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

This could happen to you, too

deepee99
    deepee99

This could happen to you, too Empty This could happen to you, too

Post by deepee99 Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:49 pm

Given that most folks approach this forum searching for answers to questions that, by and large, arise out of some difficulty they're having, be warned,
    'tis not always the case.
    A few months back I installed a quad of very long-in-the-tooth Mullard El-34/6CA7 outputs in my spankin' new ST-70. I do love the old Blackburn sound; reminds one a lot of RCA's famous "house sound."
    I was listening away this morning (both channels) to the -70 at the lower end of medium SPLs when I looked over at the amp to discover one of the front two El-34s was not glowing; in fact, it was cold to the touch. I shot off the power and waited for all four outputs to chill out, and took a closer look. The errant tube had absolutely no top-getter flashing at all! Upon further inspection of the remaining outputs, all looked at death's door. So into the junk drawer they went and out came a brand-new quad of NOS Siemens, which after warming up biased right up at .040 and looked, after an hour or two's run, to be staying there.
    Nothing happened when this tube blew. I still had sound on that channel, no 10-ohm resistor blew, nothing got unusual, no magic smoke emerged, nada.
    I just want to log this for posterity's sake. That you can blow a tube without blowing everything else around it to smithereens only happens in fairy tales, but it can, if you live long enough, happen to you.
    cci1492
    cci1492

This could happen to you, too Empty Re: This could happen to you, too

Post by cci1492 Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:06 am

The guardian tube angle works in mysterious ways.
    MechEngVic
    MechEngVic

Post by MechEngVic Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:34 am

Sound like a heater element fail. But the getter flash was consumed?
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:43 am

MechEngVic wrote:Sound like a heater element fail. But the getter flash was consumed?
    Dunno what exactly happened. As I mentioned they were long in the tooth when I put them in and you could see through the flashing in some spots already. A testimony to the hardiness of Mullard tubes. They were holding bias fine, just one day one of 'em said, Enough is enough, I'm outta here.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content