The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Left channel sounds deminished, lower volume. ST-120

Mr C
    Mr C

Left channel sounds deminished, lower volume.  ST-120 Empty Left channel sounds deminished, lower volume. ST-120

Post by Mr C Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:25 pm

I couple of days ago I noticed my left channel had a drop in volume. I swapped the input cables and it stayed on the left channel. I swapped the speaker cables and and it moved over to the right speaker. I swapped the power tubes side to side and it stayed on the left. I swapped the outer driver tubes and it stayed on the left. I haven't put it on the bench yet. What should I be looking for, or at, once I get it on the bench?
    peterh
    peterh

Left channel sounds deminished, lower volume.  ST-120 Empty Re: Left channel sounds deminished, lower volume. ST-120

Post by peterh Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:01 pm

Mr C wrote:I couple of days ago I noticed my left channel had a drop in volume.  I swapped the input cables and it stayed on the left channel.  I swapped the speaker cables and and it moved over to the right speaker.  I swapped the power tubes side to side and it stayed on the left.  I swapped the outer driver tubes and it stayed on the left.  I haven't put it on the bench yet.  What should I be looking for, or at, once I get it on the bench?

Look for a repair man !
    cci1492
    cci1492

Left channel sounds deminished, lower volume.  ST-120 Empty Re: Left channel sounds deminished, lower volume. ST-120

Post by cci1492 Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:27 am

peterh wrote:
    Mr C wrote:I couple of days ago I noticed my left channel had a drop in volume.  I swapped the input cables and it stayed on the left channel.  I swapped the speaker cables and and it moved over to the right speaker.  I swapped the power tubes side to side and it stayed on the left.  I swapped the outer driver tubes and it stayed on the left.  I haven't put it on the bench yet.  What should I be looking for, or at, once I get it on the bench?

Look for a repair man !

Ouch! I would check for cold solder joints, try a new phase inverter, check caps in place with cap checker (unlikely as this is a new build).
    LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:53 pm

Double check PIO coupling caps, values should be a close match within pairings.
    rjpjnk

Post by rjpjnk Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Swap the center tube with one or both of the PI (side) tubes to see if anything changes. The center tube has two triodes in it: one for left and one for right. After that it's off to the bench.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 pm