The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

poking my toe in the water

ascheffling@gmail.com

poking my toe in the water Empty poking my toe in the water

Post by ascheffling@gmail.com Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:43 pm

i'm a newbie here as well as being computer stupid.  do you welcome solid state people?  i know the arguments already but a.) i've had a PAT4 since i built it in the '70s and b.) i'm too poor to ante up to tubes. i grew up in the music and sound reenforcement business, i still like the audio sound of the '60s and '70s, that slightly brittle bite from altec 288 and 299 drivers and well, change don't come easy.  i have a problem with a PAT4 i just bought a few days ago and i need to talk to somebody smarter than me.  i can slobber with the best of 'em but theory and engineering has me out in the weeds.   i've been talking to a repair kit seller who knows his stuff but i don't want to wear out my welcome there.   do any of you know how to plumb the depths of a PAT4 without throwing too many rocks at a solid stater?  Al s.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

poking my toe in the water Empty Re: poking my toe in the water

Post by Bob Latino Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:56 pm

ascheffling@gmail.com wrote:i'm a newbie here as well as being computer stupid.  do you welcome solid state people?  i know the arguments already but a.) i've had a PAT4 since i built it in the '70s and b.) i'm too poor to ante up to tubes. i grew up in the music and sound reenforcement business, i still like the audio sound of the '60s and '70s, that slightly brittle bite from altec 288 and 299 drivers and well, change don't come easy.  i have a problem with a PAT4 i just bought a few days ago and i need to talk to somebody smarter than me.  i can slobber with the best of 'em but theory and engineering has me out in the weeds.   i've been talking to a repair kit seller who knows his stuff but i don't want to wear out my welcome there.   do any of you know how to plumb the depths of a PAT4 without throwing too many rocks at a solid stater?  Al s.

This is a Dynaco TUBE audio forum but a member or two here may have some knowledge regarding your Dynaco solid state PAT-4 preamp. As such > I will leave your post up here. The only place that I know of that deals in Dynaco solid state gear is here > Update My Dynaco.

Bob
    ascheffling@gmail.com

Post by ascheffling@gmail.com Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:34 pm

hi bob, thanks for getting back so quickly. your suggestion regarding Updatemydynaco was spot on. i've been talking to Dan and he couldn't be more helpful. al s.
    Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:07 pm

Welcome al s ; You should hang around here with us for awhile; u just may get hooked on this tube stuff. Start off small and enjoy the ride. As for your Pat4, you can easily replace or step up to a Pat5 for less than u can "get" that 4 repaired. I myself have Bob's VTA ST120 driving it with the 5 BiFet to the K-horns. Great sound. Next is a tube pre but for now i'm just as poor as you !

Have a great Christmas, Dale

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:29 am