The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products


    Solid State Rectifier?

    avatar
    music

    Posts : 22
    Join date : 2018-02-18

    Solid State Rectifier? Empty Solid State Rectifier?

    Post by music on Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:55 am

    Curious if anyone here is using a solid state rectifier, If you are, do you like it better then a tube rectifier?
    avatar
    avi.inc

    Posts : 58
    Join date : 2009-08-03
    Age : 66
    Location : L.A.

    Solid State Rectifier? Empty Re: Solid State Rectifier?

    Post by avi.inc on Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:13 pm

    Yes and Yes
    https://www.tedweber.com/ws1
    I have had my st-120 for over 10 years and it's been great sounding and very stable.
    avatar
    music

    Posts : 22
    Join date : 2018-02-18

    Solid State Rectifier? Empty Re: Solid State Rectifier?

    Post by music on Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:34 pm

    any other changes need to be done, after replacing the tube rectifier to the solid state rectifier?
    avatar
    New2Tubez

    Posts : 69
    Join date : 2018-03-20
    Location : NY

    Solid State Rectifier? Empty Re: Solid State Rectifier?

    Post by New2Tubez on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:16 pm

    music wrote:any other changes need to be done, after replacing the tube rectifier to the solid state rectifier?

    I got the weber WS-1t (thermistor).

    You may want to get the delay board. It makes life easier for the power tubes. The rectifier tube comes up slowly where as the s/s doesn't.
    If you search the forum, you should find more details.
    avatar
    Hops

    Posts : 20
    Join date : 2019-09-21
    Location : South Detroit, Michigan

    Solid State Rectifier? Empty Re: Solid State Rectifier?

    Post by Hops on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:34 pm

    I use the WS-1T. also. There may be an improvement in sound with a Mullard tube rectifier, but the WS-1T is far from the weakest link in my system, so I doubt if I would hear the improvement from the Mullard. I mostly just want to play my music, and I read that a failed rectifier can cause other components of myamp to fail. For general reliability, I chose the soiid state rectifier. I do have the delay board, and am thinking about adding an auto bias board. Not sure where I would mount the auto bias in in my ST-`120. If anyone has photos or a description of how and where to mount an Autobias board in a VTA-120 with Time Delay Relay , I would really appreciate it. The underside of my VTA-120 is pretty tightly packed.
    avatar
    Hops

    Posts : 20
    Join date : 2019-09-21
    Location : South Detroit, Michigan

    Solid State Rectifier? Empty Re: Solid State Rectifier?

    Post by Hops on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:36 pm

    You need to check and adjust Bias after changing rectifier tube or changing to a solid state rectifier.
    avatar
    New2Tubez

    Posts : 69
    Join date : 2018-03-20
    Location : NY

    Solid State Rectifier? Empty Re: Solid State Rectifier?

    Post by New2Tubez on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:44 pm

    Hops wrote:I use the WS-1T. also.   There may be an improvement in sound with a  Mullard tube rectifier, but the WS-1T is far from the weakest link in my system, so I doubt if I would hear the improvement from the Mullard.    I mostly just want to play my music,  and I read that a failed rectifier can cause other components of myamp to fail.   For general reliability, I chose the soiid state rectifier.   I do have the delay board,  and am thinking about adding an auto bias board.    Not sure where I would mount the auto bias  in in my ST-`120.    If anyone has photos or a description of how and where to mount an Autobias board in a VTA-120 with Time Delay Relay , I would really appreciate it.  The underside of my VTA-120 is pretty tightly packed.

    From what I've read, you don't need the delay with the AB board as it has a built in delay. It bolts in under the VTA board on included standoffs. This is my ST120...
    There are many pages of this thread on this forum.

    Solid State Rectifier? Img_2010
    avatar
    New2Tubez

    Posts : 69
    Join date : 2018-03-20
    Location : NY

    Solid State Rectifier? Empty Re: Solid State Rectifier?

    Post by New2Tubez on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:45 pm

    If you do a search, you can find the AB manual online. Try searching ST70 auto bias or something in this vein...
    avatar
    B&WTube

    Posts : 31
    Join date : 2019-08-19

    Solid State Rectifier? Empty Re: Solid State Rectifier?

    Post by B&WTube on Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:37 am

    Hops wrote:There may be an improvement in sound with a  Mullard tube rectifier
    How would the Mullard have an improvement over a non sagging WS1, when the tube rectifier still has sag ?
    avatar
    rjpjnk

    Posts : 219
    Join date : 2018-07-18

    Solid State Rectifier? Empty Re: Solid State Rectifier?

    Post by rjpjnk on Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:11 pm

    B&WTube wrote:
    Hops wrote:There may be an improvement in sound with a  Mullard tube rectifier
    How would the Mullard have an improvement over a non sagging WS1, when the tube rectifier still has sag ?

    I have pondered this as well.

    I think some people simply prefer a little sag is the only answer I can come up with. Well, other than electrons that pass through a vacuum are naturally happier than those that pass through a semiconductor junction, and everyone knows happy electrons make joyful music?  Also, they tend to produce a warmer sound because it's hot in those tubes Laughing

    Sponsored content

    Solid State Rectifier? Empty Re: Solid State Rectifier?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:54 pm