The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

M125 - Red plating output tube

M125 - Red plating output tube Empty M125 - Red plating output tube

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:27 pm

Hey folks been a long time.

Ok - my amps have been sitting quite a while unused (6 months) and I went to install a new cart/tonearm and found one of my output tubes reddish.  Amp was only one for 8 or so minutes.  I then shut the amp off - and turned back on and checked the bias (I'm running two output tubes per amp) - bias was high .6+ on the redplate tube - and .499 or so on the OK tube.  So I reset the bias to just below .5 on both and turned the amps back on.  Note - I had to turn the bias all the way to get it down to .5.   Anyhow after being on a while - the bias is back to creeping up .699 today and climbing.

Things I've done so far (replaced both driver tubes - RCA clear tops) - same issue.
    Swapped the GZ37's rectifier tubes - same issue (I'm somewhat relieved as these are beautiful $$$ tubes.)
    I'll swap the phase splitters next - but I'm thinking I might have a fundamental problem with the amp.

The output tubes are practically new - bought from Jim McShane - new Sovtek 6550s - bought in March 2019.  My original Sovtek KT88's lasted close to 6 years - no redplating.

So far for the life of the amps - problems have always been a tube failure - I've never had to dig into it.

I'll have to dig out how to check all the voltages I presume.

Amps built in 2011.

Thanks!

Chris

Last edited by costerdock on Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

M125 - Red plating output tube Empty Re: M125 - Red plating output tube

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:33 pm

No change after phase splitter swap.

I've read I should clean the tube sockets - what is recommended for cleaning the sockets?

Thanks.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:45 pm

costerdock wrote:Hey folks been a long time.

Ok - my amps have been sitting quite a while unused (6 months) and I went to install a new cart/tonearm and found one of my output tubes reddish.  Amp was only one for 8 or so minutes.  I then shut the amp off - and turned back on and checked the bias (I'm running two output tubes per amp) - bias was high .6+ on the redplate tube - and .499 or so on the OK tube.  So I reset the bias to just below .5 on both and turned the amps back on.  Note - I had to turn the bias all the way to get it down to .5.   Anyhow after being on a while - the bias is back to creeping up .699 today and climbing.

Things I've done so far (replaced both driver tubes - RCA clear tops) - same issue.
    Swapped the GZ37's rectifier tubes - same issue (I'm somewhat relieved as these are beautiful $$$ tubes.)
    I'll swap the phase splitters next - but I'm thinking I might have a fundamental problem with the amp.

The output tubes are practically new - bought from Jim McShane - new Sovtek 6550s - bought in March 2019.  My original Sovtek KT88's lasted close to 6 years - no redplating.

So far for the life of the amps - problems have always been a tube failure - I've never had to dig into it.

Amps built in 2011.

Thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris,

OK - You are running just two output tubes in this amp. Try swapping the two output tubes side to side on this amp. If the problem moves over to the other side, then that tube has a problem (even though the tubes are fairly new). If a DIFFERENT tube in that socket does the same thing, then there is a problem on the socket.

Bob

Tom Pickett likes this post

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:50 pm

Bob Latino wrote:
    costerdock wrote:Hey folks been a long time.

Amps built in 2011.

Thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris,

OK - You are running just two output tubes in this amp. Try swapping the two output tubes side to side on this amp. If the problem moves over to the other side, then that tube has a problem (even though the tubes are fairly new). If a DIFFERENT tube in that socket does the same thing, then there is a problem on the socket.

Bob

Great idea - I'll give that a shot. Nice having that option - you gotta love these amps. Thanks!

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:00 pm

Ok - yes - the problem followed the tube to the rear sockets - so I replaced that tube with a new sovtek that I have for backup - and now the bias is way down 140ma (since I have the bias screw cranked back) - I'll have to bring it up to .5ish.

I'll have to order some more spares.
    Tom Pickett
    Tom Pickett

Post by Tom Pickett Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:33 pm

Bob found a quick solution and nailed it right out of the box with a single post....

Done this many times back in the 1980's when I had my own shop... Old tube check trick without a tube tester lol Basketball Basketball Basketball Basketball Basketball Basketball

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:36 am