The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Could it be my imagination?

Could it be my imagination? Empty Could it be my imagination?

Post by Guest Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:58 pm

I compared my ST-120 to my Pass Lab X-a25, I have to say, it very very close, but, I think the ST-120 has the edge, especially on the piano.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Could it be my imagination? Empty Re: Could it be my imagination?

Post by Bob Latino Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:21 pm

music wrote:I compared my ST-120 to my Pass Lab X-a25, I have to say, it very very close, but, I think the ST-120 has the edge, especially on the piano.

Roy and I have been saying this for the last 14 years or so .. The VTA amps and preamps are comparable or better than amps and preamps costing 5X what you would pay for kit versions of similar VTA products. Yes - they may not have the bandwidth or ultra low distortion levels of similar powered solid state gear but they just sound "right". Your Pass Lab X-a25 costs $5K and the VTA ST-120 kit (with a complete tube set is less than $1.2K. Read at the link below where a VTA M-125 owner is going to kick an expensive Krell amp to the curb in favor of a pair of our VTA M-125 monoblock amps. Even his wife noticed the difference !

VTA M-125's replacing a Krell amp

Bob

Last edited by Bob Latino on Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:35 pm

I cannot agree more. With my VTA ST-70 and Fritz Carrera speakers, this is a outstanding set-up. People are amazed and the volume set at 11 o'clock, bookshelf speakers on stand and properly placed what this system delivers. I sold floor standers (zu druid) with Carver amp / preamp after I listened to this combination. After 40+ years I have found what sounds the best to me and I thank Bob for all his help and insight. Price tag for the above (not including a pre-amp) is <$4K.
    pedrocols
    pedrocols

Post by pedrocols Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:31 am

I currently have a Bryston amp for my TV speakers.  My TV speakers are highly regarded speakers by the way.  I tried the Bryston amp on my Magnepan speakers and still preferred the VTA amp. The VTA M-125's have more depth and musicality and a much better soundstage than the Bryston.
    MechEngVic
    MechEngVic

Post by MechEngVic Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:11 am

Many don't realize just how competent and beautifully resolving the original st-70 circuit design is. They are automatically turned off of it because it was originally sold as a budget amp. But what they don't think about is, even at a budget price, if it didn't sound good it wouldn't have sold hundreds of thousands of units.

With the design updates that addressed the few issues with the first models, the use of better quality parts, and the thoughtful design upgrades of the VTA brand, it's no wonder these amps perform well next any other tube amp in any price range.

My own experience with a VTA-120 vs. a Mac MC-275 was eye opening. The VTA sounded better, and not with one pair of speakers, but with three.
    markeby
    markeby

Post by markeby Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:27 pm

I have heard Mcintosh tube amps that do not have the sound quality of my PH16/SP-9/ST-120.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:28 pm