The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Original Dynaco ST 70 Producing slight hum in left channel

wazowski
    wazowski

Original Dynaco ST 70 Producing slight hum in left channel  Empty Original Dynaco ST 70 Producing slight hum in left channel

Post by wazowski Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:20 pm

I have an ST 70 that is producing a slight low level hum only in the left channel.  I have done some work on this unit several years back including a new driver board, choke, cap can, 7 lug strip, and coupling caps as well as a new grounded powder cord and new input jack and speaker terminals.  In addition, I modified the rectifier socket with the IN4007 diodes as recommended between lungs 4 and 5 and 6/7, and installed the recommended selenium rectifier mod.  The unit has been operating well for 9 years and began producing the left channel hum recently.  At this point, I finally chose to upgrade the EL-34 tubes which were in the unit back when I purchased it in 2007.  I grabbed a matched quad set of reissued new Mullards made in Russia.  After adjusting the bias, they seemed to work quite well.  Next, I replaced the rectifier tube which also came with this unit when I acquired it with a new Mesa Boogie GZ/34.  Still sounds good, but the hum is still present.  When setting the bias for the new rectifier tube, I followed the Dynamo instruction book, and powered the unit up without the tube in place.  No hum.  I plugged the tube in and watched the meter, made the appropriate adjustments and set the bias but noticed the hum returned.  I unplugged my Yamaha C-60 preamp from the front inputs and the hum was still there.  I shorted the left jack and the hum was still present. I checked and tightened the input jack mounting hardware as they had loosened and checked all soldered connections.  All looked good.  The ST 70 is connected to the Yamaha C-60 switched power outlet with a cheater plug, which bypasses the ground.  If any of you have some insight on this issue, I would appreciate your input. Thank You!
    wazowski
    wazowski

Original Dynaco ST 70 Producing slight hum in left channel  Empty Re: Original Dynaco ST 70 Producing slight hum in left channel

Post by wazowski Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:23 pm

I neglected to mention that the volume on the left seems slightly lower than the right channel.
    peterh
    peterh

Original Dynaco ST 70 Producing slight hum in left channel  Empty Re: Original Dynaco ST 70 Producing slight hum in left channel

Post by peterh Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:27 pm

If it's a dynaco then you have 2 7199 driver tubes. Will the hum change side if you switch the 7199 ?
    wazowski
    wazowski

Post by wazowski Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:00 pm

Yes! I swapped 7199 tubes and the hum moved to the right channel. Thank you for responding so fast. I already have a matched pair of NOS 7199’s on the way.
    I really appreciate your assistance

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:04 pm