The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

Higher bias on one socket

corndog71
    corndog71

Higher bias on one socket Empty Higher bias on one socket

Post by corndog71 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:02 pm

I recently installed the auto-bias board on my VTA-120 but I’m still seeing a problem that I had before the install.  One of my power tube sockets consistently measures 10 volts higher bias than the other three sockets. I find it very strange that this would occur with the auto bias board installed.  All other voltages are as they should be, I think.  Unless there’s something else I should be measuring.  

Before plugging in the tubes I tightened them and cleaned them as best as I could but I’m still getting this discrepancy.  Any thoughts on what could be causing it?  Bad socket?  Transformer? All 4 plate voltages are the same.

It doesn’t seem to affect the sound but I lost a tube in that socket prior to adding the auto-bias.  I also checked resistances on the cathode circuits prior to the AB and found no differences in any of the sockets.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Higher bias on one socket Empty Re: Higher bias on one socket

Post by corndog71 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:41 pm

I figured it out. I have fuses on the cathodes and for some reason the fuse for the bad socket was double the resistance of what the others measured. I replaced it and all is well. cheers
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:06 pm

Higher bias on one socket 49701339308_29f5332885_z

Higher bias on one socket 49702186002_f468730db9_z

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:06 am