The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

ST-120 Power Tube Pairs

davidness
    davidness

ST-120 Power Tube Pairs Empty ST-120 Power Tube Pairs

Post by davidness Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:59 pm

I originally had a Quad of Valve Art KT-88's, and then I bought a matched Quad of Gold Lion KT-88's (reissues).

I believe I might have damaged 1 or 2 from each set, so I've ordered a 'matched' pair of each as replacements, but these new replacements may not match exactly the previous tubes other than in brand.

So...

Which tube positions, if any, benefit from being a matched pair?

To take this a step further, and not that I plan to, but can I mix brands, using 2 Gold Lions and 2 Valve Arts? Thoughts?

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

ST-120 Power Tube Pairs Empty Re: ST-120 Power Tube Pairs

Post by Bob Latino Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi David,

It is always better to use a matched quad (4 tubes) of the same type of tube in the ST-120. That said, the next best thing would be to use matched pairs on each channel even though the two channels would be using different pairs of tubes. The third choice (and not the best one) would be to use an unmatched pair on one or both channels.

Bob

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:12 am