The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Strange problem, need help

xlr8

Strange problem, need help

Post by xlr8 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:46 am

Hi folks,

I came downstairs this morning and fired my st-70s up and one flashed and blew the fuse. I replaced the fuse and turned the amp back on and I get zero bias voltage on all 4 output tubes. All tubes still light up, but there is no sound in either channel and no bias voltage. Please tell me this is something simple. Sad

xlr8

Re: Strange problem, need help

Post by xlr8 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:54 am

Ok, so I panicked and posted before I tried changing the rectifier. I swapped the newish Sovtek 5AR4 rectum frier with a used Mullard and the amp is working again. Do these modern rectifier tubes really go out within 6 months or should I be looking for another issue?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:48 am

Sad to say that nearly all the newer production GZ34 rectifier tubes are not as "robust" as older USA and British GZ34 rectifier tubes. If you get a year out of most of them, then you are doing OK. Of the newer production GZ34 rectifier tubes (JJ, Sovtek and Ruby), I have had better luck with the Ruby. The Ruby is actually a "select" Chinese GZ34 rectifier tube that has been tested for proper output by Ruby in Califiornia. All Ruby's have the output numbers on a white label on the base of the tube.

Bob

xlr8

Post by xlr8 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:04 pm

Well, I have been driving mine a little hard lately. I'm thinking I'm just going to go with the Webers, which was my first instinct...I don't want to waste a good Mullard.

xlr8

Post by xlr8 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:16 pm

All Ruby's have the output numbers on a white label on the base of the tube.

BTW, I wanted to ask whether these numbers have an effect on the output of the amp? If so, it sort of explains something to me... Embarassed

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:53 am

Current date/time is Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:53 am