The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Inside a Russian PIO coupling cap - photos ..

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Russian - Inside a Russian PIO coupling cap - photos .. Empty Inside a Russian PIO coupling cap - photos ..

Post by Bob Latino Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Russian - Inside a Russian PIO coupling cap - photos .. RussianPIO800

I have used over 1000 of these Russian K40-Y PIO coupling caps in the past 5 years. Not one (to my knowlege) has ever failed. These are military grade capacitors made to very strict tolerances. They were made by Russia during the cold war in the late '70's to early '80's.

I have often wondered what one looks like inside so today I took one apart for a closer look. They have plenty of "oil" on the inside impregnated into a heavy paper. I don't know what kind of oil it is but I did get some on my hands and found out that it did not wash off easily. The oil has no odor that I could detect. Inside the metal case is a thin cardboard that is used probably to insulate the inside of the cap from the outer metal case. Once this removed there appears to be a "jelly roll" of paper on the inside (the jelly) and a very thin sheet of aluminum foil on the outside (the roll). I cannot be sure that the metal is aluminum but it looks like aluminum. Whatever it is, it is non magnetic.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Latino on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
    GP49

Russian - Inside a Russian PIO coupling cap - photos .. Empty Re: Inside a Russian PIO coupling cap - photos ..

Post by GP49 Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:11 pm

Shhhhhh! Don't let our EPA know, or they might BAN them.

"I'm from the Government. I'm here to HELP you!"
    deepee99
    deepee99

Russian - Inside a Russian PIO coupling cap - photos .. Empty Re: Inside a Russian PIO coupling cap - photos ..

Post by deepee99 Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:04 pm

GP49 wrote:Shhhhhh!  Don't let our EPA know, or they might BAN them.

"I'm from the Government.  I'm here to HELP you!"

That's a fact, Jack. The EPA has yet to discover a useful thing it didn't want to outlaw.
    Tom

Post by Tom Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:28 pm

Yep. PCBs. Since they're from the '70s, they could be US as well, since PCBs were still legit then.
    Not a dangerous substance from a human exposure perspective, have you noticed any twitches Bob?
    (KIDDING! ONLY KIDDING!)
    Lots of enviro problems including good source of dioxins if heated enough.
    Cool that they're still around. We still find PCB containing hardware once in a while.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm