The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

diodes on the secondaries

baddog1946
    baddog1946

diodes on the secondaries Empty diodes on the secondaries

Post by baddog1946 Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi Bob: (and everyone else)
    I was reading the M-125 thread and I noticed that you mentioned at one point that one could put diodes on the secondaries of the trannie to prevent reverse current flow if the amp was switched off and on quickly.
    Could you put up a little diagram of that for a look at what you mean?

This happens here with a lot of quiick power outages. It might give me a little security.
    Thanks
    Baddog1946
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

diodes on the secondaries Empty Re: diodes on the secondaries

Post by Bob Latino Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi Baddog,

That modification of putting diodes on the rectifier tube socket is mentioned in this thread here on the Dynaco Tube Audio Forum. There is a diagram on that thread which shows where the diodes go on the tube socket.

Rectifier tube socket mod

Bob
    bigmm79

Post by bigmm79 Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:23 pm

So I'm planning on doing this mod as I've already blown through a GZ34 after a couple months use. I have a question that is probably dumb, but I'm an electronics ignoramus. With diodes installed as discussed aren't they then rectifying the AC signal into DC? Does the GZ34 even do anything with the diodes installed this way?
    Any chance of loosing any tube magic imparted by the GZ34 with this diode modification?

I saw a post somewhere that said if diodes are installed this way one could simply jumper out the GZ34. Can't be right, but I'm curious.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 pm