The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Best audio from your computer?

SUNNFRK

Best audio from your computer?

Post by SUNNFRK on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:07 am

I dont have the room to use a turntable, let alone space to keep all my vinyl or Cd's on a shelf near my stereo. I use my laptop as my sole source of audio. all my favorite tracks have been converted to lossless files. I use itunes. then an apogee duet. (firewire I/O) to my Pas 3 and ST70.

just curious if anyone has suggestions to get the best performance. any hardware/software I should add?

Bob Latino
    Admin

Re: Best audio from your computer?

Post by Bob Latino on Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:40 pm

Hi,

Winamp can play FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) files directly. There is another thread on the forum here about this.

What you do is convert your CD's to FLAC files using the FLAC encoder. Once encoded they are played directly with Winamp. The sound quality playing FLAC files is noticeably better than playing mp3 files. Both the FLAC encoder and Winamp are FREE downloads.

Where to get the FLAC encoder

Where to get Winamp

Bob

baddog1946

Post by baddog1946 on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:49 am

I use a similar setup but the sound in my system is greatly improved with a DAC in front of the amp.

ejc

Post by ejc on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:46 am

You may want to check/google Winamp - Roxio problems.
    If I recall, when I was using Winamp there was a conflict with Roxio the disabled the Disc Burning capabilities of your DVD Drives. There was no resolution to this problem - Uninstalling did not work. Twisted Evil

I ended up upgrading to a new Hard Drive with Win7 and not installing WinAmp.

I don't know if the conflict still exists with newer versions of Winamp.

Bob Latino wrote: Hi,

Winamp can play FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) files directly. There is another thread on the forum here about this.

What you do is convert your CD's to FLAC files using the FLAC encoder. Once encoded they are played directly with Winamp. The sound quality playing FLAC files is noticeably better than playing mp3 files. Both the FLAC encoder and Winamp are FREE downloads.

Where to get the FLAC encoder

Where to get Winamp

Bob

Current date/time is Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:06 pm