The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

EL34 getting way too hot..

pstpierre

EL34 getting way too hot..

Post by pstpierre on Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:02 pm

Hi all,

I just finished rebuilding an ST70. I purchased it a couple of years ago for around $225. It was not working but looked original with a pretty clean chassis. Well the can cap was dead, the power cord cracked and all the original Dynaco output tubes failed on my tube tester. I cleaned up the chassis with brasso and it shines really nice with only some minor pitting. I replace the can cap with an sds capacitor replacement board with some high value caps on it. Section 2 is 190 UF but only 500V (pairs of 250V). The others are lower I don't remember the values maybe 50uf but the voltages are better 800V (pairs of 400v). I also used the solid state bias on the board bypassing the selenium rectifier. I replaced all the output tubes with electroharmonic EL34s. Amazingly when I powered it up it work fine. It continued to worked great for about two months. But, just last week the RCA rectifier tube glowed like a nuclear furnace an popped the fuse. Oh well I figured is was expected as this is an old tube. I replace it with a solid state plug in adapter and adjusted the bias to 1.4v a litte lower than the recommended 1.53. Turned it on and everything seemed good. But after about 20 minutes the EL34 stated crackling and they were very hot. I shut down the amp and now I'm pondering what to check. I check some of the voltages right after I added the solid state rectifier, pins 4 and 8 of the rectifier are 359V AC. That seemed OK to me. On the EL34s pins 2 and 8 are 464V and pin 3 is 446V. It seemed a little high but I think too much of it. Eyelet 20 was 386V and eyelet 19 was 303V. The biasing pot was -41v on the left and -27 on the right. I'm not sure what to check next. I would most appreciated some advice on what to check next.

Thanks from quiet in Seattle, Paul

pstpierre

Re: EL34 getting way too hot..

Post by pstpierre on Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:23 pm

I meant to say that on the rectifier pins 2 and 8 are 464V not the EL34s

GP49

Post by GP49 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:47 pm

If by "biasing pot" you mean the voltage on the grid of the output tubes, "-27V" is very likely improper.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:39 pm

Current date/time is Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:39 pm