The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

FM-3 Project arrived in the snowy Berlin

dynacophil

FM-3 Project arrived in the snowy Berlin

Post by dynacophil on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:28 pm

thanks to AKer WATT http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=335281 this nice little tuner arrived safe today in Berlin, Snow-Capital-of-Germany.
    Thx to exact complete declaration without any trouble with customs, just 16 days TX > Berlin.

Here some otside impressions of the little one, withe a very good cage out of my storage, new stainless screws, new feet out of my box, a cleaned faceplate, as far as possible cleaned knobs:

All Tubes look ok so far, not tested yet. Tomorrow I'll give it a new cable and a slow testride on the variac.

Spudnik

Re: FM-3 Project arrived in the snowy Berlin

Post by Spudnik on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:17 pm

Phil, that unit looks to be in excellent shape! I love the FM-3, I believe it's the best deal in an FM tuner out there. Yours will undoubtedly need an alignment after going from the US to Germany, but that's a relatively simple matter if you follow the instructions in the original manual. I don't know what your plans are for this one, but I highly recommend the mods described in the Audio Amateur article by James Lin and outlined on the FM-3 Zone site. I have done this on one of my units (I have three) and the results were outstanding. If I can provide any other input for your project I would be happy to.

Good luck with it and Happy New Year!

Phil (another one!) Very Happy

dynacophil

Post by dynacophil on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:25 am

Thanx for the hints. I bought it because my other one has some Issues and I want to decide with which one I'll gonna start after having checked out this. FM3zone is open in my browser Smile
    I'm not really Phil, I'm Helge, Dynacophil is the german version of Dynacophile from Dynacophilia! Would be even better if I would be phil, but isn't...

The Cage it had when it came wasn't as nice, that's why I took my one, the feet were... rotting...
    insides it looks very ok. It's only issue shall be drift of stations... we'll see.

Spudnik wrote:Phil, that unit looks to be in excellent shape! I love the FM-3, I believe it's the best deal in an FM tuner out there. Yours will undoubtedly need an alignment after going from the US to Germany, but that's a relatively simple matter if you follow the instructions in the original manual. I don't know what your plans are for this one, but I highly recommend the mods described in the Audio Amateur article by James Lin and outlined on the FM-3 Zone site. I have done this on one of my units (I have three) and the results were outstanding. If I can provide any other input for your project I would be happy to.

Good luck with it and Happy New Year!

Phil (another one!) Very Happy

Spudnik

Post by Spudnik on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:35 pm

How goes the progress on the FM-3 Helge? I recently picked up another minty unit here off of CanuckAudioMart, making my total now four FM-3's! This one will be rebuilt and modded like my two other main units and make its new home in my buddy's top flight Conrad-Johnson Premier/Acoustat system. Very Happy

dynacophil

Post by dynacophil on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:50 pm

Hi
    ordered me a new used dial to replace the bent one in this tuner from FM3ZONE (not arrived yet), got me some rubberparts to replace rotten in this tuner from dynakitparts... but otherwise not much... too busy the time right now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:50 am

Current date/time is Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:50 am