The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
ejc
Bob Latino
6 posters

Fake Chinese capacitors

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

fake - Fake Chinese capacitors Empty Fake Chinese capacitors

Post by Bob Latino Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:20 pm

Someone sent me this photo of a "fake" Chinese 6800 uF @ 50 volt capacitor which was really a 2200 uF @ 35 volts inside. What the Chinese manufacturer did was obtain the outer cases of the larger caps and stuff inside a lower value and lower voltage rated capacitor. From the outside of the cap you would never know what was inside.

On almost all Chinese amps you will never see the plates of the transformers. What they do is place a round or a square cover over all the transformers so you can't actually see the transformer itself. If you tap the the sides of the transformer covers you usually hear a "bong" - hmmmm ... lotta AIR under those covers ...

Bob

fake - Fake Chinese capacitors FakeChinesecaps
    ejc

fake - Fake Chinese capacitors Empty Re: Fake Chinese capacitors

Post by ejc Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:26 pm

You should see the fake watches the Chinese put out, almost impossible to tell from the real things.

I recently spotted a limited ed. 40th anniversary Fender Strat the Chinese have put out for $350 - The real thing goes for $7,500-$10,000
    Sled108
    Sled108

Post by Sled108 Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:02 am

That's really Messed...A lot of Caps like that are used in things like my SS Marantz 1060...
    xlr8

Post by xlr8 Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:19 am

Wow! Someone sure went to a heck of a lot of trouble to be downright dishonest and potentially dangerous, I would imagine? Shocked
    j4570

Post by j4570 Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:47 pm

That's a lot of work, for a few cents. Obviously, labor rates are a little different.

This trash is what makes me mad. unfortunately, we can find it on any continent. Scam artists everywhere.

JW

Last edited by j4570 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
    ejc

Post by ejc Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:31 pm

Hopefully they are using these components in their defense programs.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:10 pm

We, as hobbyists dealing with this kind of part on a one-by-one basis, are not as much "exposed" as the OEM manufacturer who buys this crap by the case and loads it up into his board-stuffing machine. A prior, well-documented example of Taiwanese capacitors with faulty electrolyte (the formula stolen from another manufacturer...except it was a faulty formula) includes tales of many consumer and industrial products which used the bad capacitors. The example I am most familiar with is their use in a popular line of LCD computer monitors. A major technology firm serving clients in the oil industry re-equipped several of their facilities with these LCD monitors. This amounted to hundreds, perhaps over a thousand of them. Over time, about a third have failed and more are failing every day.

Where we can run across this, is when the excess production of parts gets surplussed or sold to retailers. For my parts, I often frequent a local store selling electronic surplus, and often run across bins of "no-name" parts of which I know nothing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 pm