The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

New product - VTA driver board cover (photo)

Bob Latino
    Admin

New product - VTA driver board cover (photo)

Post by Bob Latino on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:35 am

Roy Mottram of tubes4hifi has sent me a prototype ST-70/ST-120 driver board cover made of a clear heat resistant acrylic. If fits right over the driver board. If you have an existing VTA driver board on your amp, move the four power supply can caps (C13, C14, C15 and C16) to the bottom of the driver board. The interstage caps C1 and C2 also will go to the bottom of the board. You then loosen and temporarily remove the four screws and nuts that hold the driver board to the chassis. Place the clear acrylic cover on the chassis top and replace the screws. Conveniently, there are 4 small holes on the top drirectly over the four bias pots to adjust bias. Contact Roy on the tubes4hifi web site for more info and pricing on the VTA ST-70/ST-120 driver board cover.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Latino on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

Bob Latino
    Admin

Re: New product - VTA driver board cover (photo)

Post by Bob Latino on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:47 pm

baddog1946 wrote:when and how much? They look great for protecting the board.

Email Roy directly at > roymottram@yahoo.com about pricing and the availability of the driver board covers.

Bob

tubes4hifi
    Admin

Post by tubes4hifi on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:43 pm

we use a variety of capacitor sizes and there are many that will fit underneath without a problem, especially with our cap upgrade which uses larger values that are actually shorter in height because they are wider around.

tubes4hifi
    Admin

Post by tubes4hifi on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:39 pm

easy, a few more holes, a few more $$.
    OK, have sold several of these now, but I don't stock them, so I order them as requested.
    The big ?? is always "how much?"    Price is $45 including shipping inside USA.   That money goes
    to the guy who buys the plexiglass and then machines it without any cracks or scratches, and then the
    post office.   I make about $4 on the whole deal, hey guys, I've got to make my 10% to buy lunch.

Last edited by tubes4hifi on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

tubes4hifi
    Admin

Post by tubes4hifi on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:08 pm

December 2011 update on pricing for the plexi cover . . .
    with the VTA logo $45 includes shipping (the logo is clear as shown in photo)
    withOUT the logo $40 includes shipping
    as a reminder, you'll need to move the large caps to the bottom side of the board,
    as the cover only has holes for the 3 tubes, 4 bias pots, (and the 4 mounting screws)

bigmm79

Post by bigmm79 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:30 pm

I bought one of these and its great. Good looking and gives some peace of mind if you have curious kids around like I do. With the cover on the circuitry is not accessible for fingers, little or big. I'll try to post a picture later. Install was not fun, but was worth it. The caps, including larger upgraded ones, all fit on the bottom side of the board and within the chassis just fine.

tubes4hifi
    Admin

Post by tubes4hifi on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:18 pm

it should be an easy install other than moving the big caps to bottom, a solder sucker works better than solder wick

tubes4hifi
    Admin

Post by tubes4hifi on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:06 pm

just remember you've got about 5/16" between the board and cover (1/4" PCB mount spacers and 1/16" chassis thickness) to work with.
    So while I would recommend mounting those four components on the bottom, you could probably just bend them slightly and you would have enough clearance to leave them on top.
    As for the PIOs, I always recommend using insulation, either electrical tape or shrink tubing around the entire body,
    the capacitors won't get warm at all.

tubes4hifi
    Admin

Post by tubes4hifi on Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:34 pm

it's been a couple years, just doing a refresh on this post so it's not lost 50 pages back . . .
    clear plexi VTA70 board cover

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:05 am

Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:05 am