The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

st-70 with no stereo seperation

mattst3

st-70 with no stereo seperation Empty st-70 with no stereo seperation

Post by mattst3 Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Hi, I recently came across an ST-70 that has no stereo operation. When I set the preamp balance control to the center, things sound okay but no seperation. When I move the balance to either right or left the sound volume goes down slightly but still hear equal sound volume from each channel, although a little distorted at higher volumes. I also notice that when I turn the volume to off, I can still hear output only very low. I have three other ST-70s and I have never experianced this kind of thing before. I have tested with two differant working preamps ( PAT-4 and Marantz 7T-set to low output). I have a PAS-3 also but am afraid to try since something is wrong with this amp. I tried to run one channel at a time with an RCA shorting plug in the the unused input with the same results. I disconnected the mono/stereo switch per Bob Latino's diagram and still no effect. I was told this amp was home built so I went through the factory wiring directions and checked each wire. I found a few cold solder joints and repaired them but found no wiring errors. I was told this amp was sitting in a basement, maybe damp seeing some rust on the cover. I wonder if the power transformer is damp or shorting? Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

st-70 with no stereo seperation Empty Re: st-70 with no stereo seperation

Post by Bob Latino Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:48 am

Hi,

See if you can post a photo of the interior wiring of this amp on the forum here. Maybe one of us can pick up on some wiring issue that could cause your amp to stay in mono. You will have to host the photo on some other web site because this forum can't host a photo. You could also post a link to the web address to the photo.

Bob
    Sal
    Sal

Post by Sal Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:49 pm

You can email me a photo of the top and bottom of your amp and I will post it here if you like.

Sal

salb203 at optonline dot net
    mattst3

st-70 with no stereo seperation Empty st-70 with no stereo seperation

Post by mattst3 Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks, I'll try to take a picture of the top and bottom as best as I can.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 am