The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

St35 or St70

JCR1234

St35 or St70

Post by JCR1234 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:56 pm

I am going to build one of these kits. I have never built a hi-fi tube amp, but I have built many guitar amps. I have a couple of questions:

1. I dont usually listen to music very loudly. I am concerned that I will not be able to get the EL34's in the ST 70 loud enough to get them to their sweet spot. Is there any validity to this concern?

2. I have lots of guitar amps that use EL84's so I already have lots of NOS on hand. I dont have any access to good NOS EL 34's.

Aside from the issue if I will be able to take advantage of the EL 34 headroom, is there a difference in sound quality between the two kits?

DynakitParts
    Admin

Choosing the right amplifier

Post by DynakitParts on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:22 am

Hi,
    Your choice may be subject to the speakers you intend to use with
    either of these amplifiers. Keep in mind that the ST-35 is essentially
    half (17.5wpc) of the ST-70 (35wpc). Accordingly, I would suggest matching
    the ST-35 with a fairly efficient (90+ db) pair of speakers whereas with
    the ST-70 (80+ db)should be fine.
    There is no need to crank up the volume to ear bleeding decibels to
    optimize the sound of either these tube types.

Regards,

Kevin @ Dynakit

Bob Latino
    Admin

Re: St35 or St70

Post by Bob Latino on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:50 pm

I agree with Kevin. The ST-35 is $125 to $150 less expensive but has only half the power of the ST-70. The ST-35 has a few other disadvantages.

1. The ST-35 has no power switch so unless you want to add a power switch or plug the amp into a switched outlet you will wind up having to plug in and unplug the amp every time you want it on or off.

2. The ST-35 can only use EL84 output tubes while a modern ST-70 kit can use EL34, 6L6, KT66, KT77, KT88 or 6550 output tubes. Each tube has a slightly different sonic signature and you can tailor the sound to your liking by swapping out different types of output tubes.

3. In stock form the ST-35 has no adjustable bias system. You really need a matched quad of EL84's in an ST-35. As the tubes wear there is no way to compensate for tube wear by readjusting the bias like on an ST-70. That said, Dynakitparts does have and adjustable bias system for the ST-35 that you can add to any ST-35 to alleviate this issue. See link below.

Dynakitparts ST-35 bias control kit

Bob

Sponsored content

Re: St35 or St70

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:05 am

Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:05 am