The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Removing Dynakit labels from cages

j beede
    j beede

Removing Dynakit labels from cages Empty Removing Dynakit labels from cages

Post by j beede Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:48 pm

I accidently chipped one of my vintage Mark III cages and it looks like I will be repainting both of them. Recreating the texture over the chip (down to the metal of course) will be a bit of a trick. I don't want to create more problems when I pull off the Dynakit labels... Anyone have a known good way of getting those off? I could use heat but the whole goal is to avoid pulling off paint with the sticker.
    ...j
    DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

Removing Dynakit labels from cages Empty Label Removal

Post by DynakitParts Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi,
    Bob Latino forwarded me a copy of your post. I have removed these original foil
    labels from the Dynaco cages without lifting or damaging the base paint. Typically,
    there remains a residual film of adhesive from the label on the perforated cage. This
    can be removed with application of Acetone and some rubbing with a soft cloth. The
    label cannot be reused after removal in most cases, but these are currently available.
    Just lift up one corner of the label and peel it off the cover.

It would be best to re-paint the entire cage as opposed to attempting to just paint the
    chip area as the color will be difficult to match exactly. Light sanding is best prior
    to painting. I believe there is a post on this forum regarding the specific paint to
    use which closely matches the original brown cage color.

Regards,

Kevin @ Dynakit

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Removing Dynakit labels from cages Empty Re: Removing Dynakit labels from cages

Post by Bob Latino Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:09 am

I just want to add one thing to what Kevin said. I have sucessfully reattached a Dynaco label to a tube cage using Devcon epoxy. Devcon "2-Ton" epoxy is available at Wal-Mart. This epoxy sets up in 30 minutes and can withstand temperatures up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. No Dynaco label that I have ever reattached with this epoxy has ever fallen off.

Bob
    sandy
    sandy

Post by sandy Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:25 am

This is very coincidental, I just bolted the cover on one of Bob's ST-120 I just finished and was going to replace the label and started peeling (it was well glued) and started wondering if I was going to ruin the nice cage that I picked up, I stopped half way. I'm going to give the heat gun a quick run to see if that helps. I have some nice new label from Kevin, other then that it's a done project!

The MKIII cages are a bit like the transformers Smile messy! Curious to see how you move with them. I was thinking of not sanding them but just getting them clean for painting with light chemicals and seeing if the texture can be re-used if a light coat of paint is used.

And thanks Bob/Kevin for the tips, will be a big help.

Sandy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:38 am