The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all products and all products

What to do with an oscilloscope?

What to do with an oscilloscope?

Post by polarflux on Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:33 am

I recently obtained a free oscilloscope and am wondering what I can do with it? Its an LG brand model OS5020g. The panel says it goes up to 20 mhz. I was given to me by the family of a deceased ham enthusiast. It seems like if the former owner used it as part of his ham setup it would be able to measure radio frequencies. It looks pretty nice, and appears to be fairly modern. Some of the questions I have are:

What is the best thing to use as a signal generator? I'd like to be able to use my computer for that if possible.

What kind of cables attach to these things? Mine has locking connectors, but I have not idea what cable to use.

Can I use this to test household AC? It would be interesting to see how clean my household AC is.

And I guess the big thing is being able to test my gear. If I were going to test my st70 would I connect the speaker outputs to the scope.

I know this is a little off topic for this forum, but I would appreciate suggestions.

Re: What to do with an oscilloscope?

Post by Mikeski on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:24 am

A few things you can do is check your DC power for ac leakage due to a bad cap. You can supply a pre or amp with a test signal of constant tone and level to see how signal processing is doing through your component. it can also be used as a DC or AC volt meter.

Post by tubes4hifi on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:19 pm

there are tons of huge books on how and what you can do with an oscope. Also alot of info can be found using "GOOGLE"
    If you don't have the probes with the BNC connector you'll need some of those.
    You can get a cheap frequency generator kit for around $60.

j beede

Post by j beede on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:41 am

A simple audio freq signal generator can be downloaded for free. It uses your computer's sound card output. I use one called SignalGen_free.exe, you can search for a site from which to download it. Together with your oscilloscope with a pair of standard probes, plus a 3.5mm stereo male to dual RCA male adapter you can use this simple setup to see how out of balance your left and right channels are by selecting the A minus B mode. A low end scope like the one you describe may not have high voltage probes as part of the deal--be careful before you try to look at ac ripple in your B+. Some scopes have overvoltage protection. Do you have the manual? If not I would advise you download a copy and plan to spend some quality time reading it.

Post by j4570 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:06 pm

I got some cheap new scope probes off ebay for my Tektronix I picked up cheap. They work fine. I eventually got a really nice pair of Tek probes for little money used off ebay. I want to say a pair of the cheapies were less than $20 delivered from a US seller. Now, the leads are short, and the wire is thin compared to the Tek probes.

Do a little research, and Tektronix has excellent tutorials on their website.

Post by frank on Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:41 pm

I'm trying out NCH Tone Generator. It is easy to get and has a short learning curve.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:33 pm

Current date/time is Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:33 pm