The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

noise in power amp

bizi

noise in power amp Empty noise in power amp

Post by bizi Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:06 pm

what is the most likely cause of crackling, popping noise in a tube amp for the first minute or two after start-up. This noise is audible but by no means loud and stops after a couple of minutes.

Thanks
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

noise in power amp Empty Re: noise in power amp

Post by Bob Latino Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi Bizi,

It sounds like a tube issue to me. Try swapping out some newer tubes or some tube known NOT to cause this issue. Is it in both channels ? OR just ONE channel ?

If you said that this happens after a half hour or so I might have said a problem on the driver board - a bad solder trace that goes thermal and opens up.

Try swapping out some tubes and let us know what you find ? If you don't have any other tubes try swapping tubes between channels. While your at it clean off the tube pins. Contrary to what some say you CAN use WD40 to clean off tube pins - just wipe it all off before you reinsert the tube. This tube pin issue is more likely to come up on small 9 pin signal tubes like a 7199, 12AX7, EL84 etc. than a larger octal tube which has more pin area to make contact with the socket pins.

Bob
    danf

noise in power amp Empty Possibly bad filter caps

Post by danf Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:55 pm

You might find this link helpful:

http://www.triodeel.com/trouble.html
    bizi

Post by bizi Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback. In fact it was a noisy output tube and nothing more.

Bill
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:26 pm

I have a slight static sound, a few seconds after I turn the power on, and it lasts for about 5 seconds. Maybe 10.

Both with the Dynaco, and again with the Transcendent pre amp, if I turn it on second. Because it happens with both, I'm just assuming that it's normal for tube gear to make a bit of noise as the tubes come to life.

Alternately, because it's both amps that I assembled myself... ahhh, maybe my technique leaves something to be desired. :-/

I wonder if I should be concerned, and start swapping tubes around, or can someone comment if this is normal.

Thanks,

Brenton
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:17 pm

Brenton,

Sometimes tubes do make a few sounds upon startup. If both units play OK after warmup I wouldn't worry about it ...

Bob
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:11 pm

Thanks Bob.

They sure do play well!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:09 am