The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Which Preamp??

DaLarry
    DaLarry

Which Preamp?? Empty Which Preamp??

Post by DaLarry Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:12 am

I've got a Dyna PAT4 and was planning to gut it and do the Tubes4hifi SP6/SP8 tube makeover.
    (http://www.tubes4hifi.com/pre8.htm). Anyone have any experience with that kit and how does it compare to the Transcendent Grounded Grid kit? The SP6/SP8 project is about half the price of the TGG project.

"Da" is Mandarin for "big" or "large". At 6'2" and 230, I am; at least in China!
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Which Preamp?? Empty Re: Which Preamp??

Post by Bob Latino Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:26 am

DaLarry wrote:I've got a Dyna PAT4 and was planning to gut it and do the Tubes4hifi SP6/SP8 tube makeover.
    (http://www.tubes4hifi.com/pre8.htm). Anyone have any experience with that kit and how does it compare to the Transcendent Grounded Grid kit? The SP6/SP8 project is about half the price of the TGG project.

"Da" is Mandarin for "big" or "large". At 6'2" and 230, I am; at least in China!

Hi,
    I would not hestitate to go with the tubes4hifi SP-6 preamp kit. This preamp kit is a upgraded modification of the "Aikido" preamp design and is a better value than the Transcendent preamp. It also has the advantage of a built in phono stage if you still play vinyl records every now and then as I do. The Transcendent preamp has no phono stage. For those that have not seen this build thread on the Klipsch forum check out the link below for some nice photos on building the VTA SP-6 preamp kit.

Building the SP-6 preamp kit

It's a great preamp for the money and will work well with any tube or solid state amp.

Bob
    DaLarry
    DaLarry

Post by DaLarry Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:44 pm

Bob Latino wrote:
    Hi,
    I would not hestitate to go with the tubes4hifi SP-6 preamp kit. This preamp kit is a upgraded modification of the "Aikido" preamp design and is a better value than the Transcendent preamp. It also has the advantage of a built in phono stage if you still play vinyl records every now and then as I do. The Transcendent preamp has no phono stage. For those that have not seen this build thread on the Klipsch forum check out the link below for some nice photos on building the VTA SP-6 preamp kit.

Building the SP-6 preamp kit

It's a great preamp for the money and will work well with any tube or solid state amp.

Bob

I'm glad to hear that and thanks for the link. I have a beautiful and generally excellent vintage Sony SS Preamp TA E86B (http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyesprit/TAE86/TAE86.html). However, I was disappointed with the phono section. I borrowed my buddies partially upgraded PAS 2 and the difference in the sound of vinyl was breathtaking. The tubes4hifi kit sounds like the way to go.
    gothover

Post by gothover Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:40 am

I absolutely reccomend the VTA-6/8. I love the phono stage, and it is quite easy to build. Check out that klipsch link.

DHarris

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am