The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Oscilloscope Specs. Question

merlot

Oscilloscope Specs. Question

Post by merlot on Sat May 07, 2011 10:18 am

I am looking at purchasing an oscilloscope. Specifically I am looking at the Rigol DS1052E. It costs about $400 (not too expensive) and seems to get good reviews. I've never used one before but have always wanted one. I want to learn more about them and will use it with my ST-70 and ST-120s. I will also be purchasing one of Roy's preamps once I figure out what I want.

The specs are here:

http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds1000e/ds1052e/

I am not sure how to read the specs and my question is this: The voltages in the amps are around say 500v. The input on the scope has a limit of 300v. There is a 10x attenuation switch on the probe. Can I use this oscilloscope to measure voltages etc. in the amps? Anything else I should think about?

Appreciate your thoughts.

j4570

Re: Oscilloscope Specs. Question

Post by j4570 on Sun May 08, 2011 8:56 pm

I think for the amateur hobbyist, you are better served with a used Tektronix or similiar. I picked one up because like you, I always wanted one. Used them in college a little, and know the very basics.

I found a seller on Ebay that was local to me, and offered a DOA guarantee. I had to buy the probes seperate but got some cheapies for $12 delivered, and the scope tested fine. Now had it not been local, it would not have been a good deal because the shipping would have been $50, and shipping was on me to return if it was DOA. I only paid $40 something for the scope. Sure, it's a Tek 50 mhz model 2225 scope which is older, but for I need it for, it's fine. If you are buying on ebay, nearly all of them do not have probes, and it's probably worth having a $12 set of probes to try out the scope when you get it. I got the probes on Ebay from a US seller in California. I also had to supply a computer cord to power it.

Anyway, that's what I did, and I'm happy. I'm not ready to invest $400 in a scope that I will use a few times a year.

Jason

j4570

Post by j4570 on Thu May 26, 2011 7:47 am

Roy is selling a used scope right now on the parts forum:

http://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t115p30-place-for-sale-or-wanted-audio-related-items-in-this-sticky-thread

It's an older B&K but the price is right.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:02 am

Current date/time is Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:02 am