The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

VTA board coupling caps.

jhoak

VTA board coupling caps. Empty VTA board coupling caps.

Post by jhoak Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:20 pm

So here I am with my newly built VTA120 amp not even fully broken in yet and I find myself thinking about "what's next?".

Are the Russian PIOs considered to be as good as it gets? Has anyone tried anything different? What were the results?

I've always been very impressed by the Jantzen Z-Silver caps but have only used them in passive crossovers. A set of 4 of them would be around $30. You think they'd be worth a try?

THANX!
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

VTA board coupling caps. Empty Re: VTA board coupling caps.

Post by Bob Latino Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:52 pm

Hi Jeff,

The Russian PIO main coupling caps for the money are really great sounding caps once broken in. I use them in my own ST-120. If you want to try other caps in your VTA ST-120 you could try the Mundorf Silver-Oil caps or the Mundorf M-Caps. Below are two links to posts on this forum where Mundorf Silver-Oil and Mundorf M-caps were used in two different ST-120's.

Custom ST-120 build with Mundorf M-Caps

Custom ST-120 build with Mundorf Silver Oil caps

Bob
    mantha3
    mantha3

Post by mantha3 Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:52 pm

I'm running the Jantzen Silver caps in my ST120 and it sounds awsome. I've been toying with the idea of running some Mundorf higer grade Silver Oil Caps. If you go to http://www.partsconnexion.com you will see a bunch of cap options that are tempting. Fun to tinker with these things.. Make sure you de-charge the amp caps before going under the hood. Lots of capacitance on a 120 amp.

So I'm running 4 of the Jantzen Silver caps and I'm also running 2 Audio Cap Theta .10uf in the 2 spots on the signal path (top of the VTA board)... Check this link and I have photos of the VTA board

My ST-120

Let us know what you do and how it sounds.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am