The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

using variac, pros and cons

leitmo

using variac, pros and cons Empty using variac, pros and cons

Post by leitmo Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:15 am

hi everyone!

is my first post here,

i'm asking myself if it could be useful or useless using a Variac with my ST-35 from dynakitparts. Lot of people are building variacs to prevent their tubes from damage...it'll be useful with dynaco / dynakits??

thanks for listening
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

using variac, pros and cons Empty Re: using variac, pros and cons

Post by Bob Latino Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Hi,

What you might use with your ST-35 in place of the variac is some type of "soft start" device which delays the application of B+ high voltage until the tubes have warmed up. It is useful though not absolutely needed with the ST-35 power amp and the SCA-35 integrated amp. Both amps have solid state rectifiers and apply the B+ high voltage almost instantaneously. Some say that the application of high voltage before the tubes have warmed up can cause "cathode stripping" on the output tubes and reduced life on these tubes. Personally I have never seen this and the fact that there are still many ST-35's and SCA-35's out there working fine gives testament to the fact that maybe this issue is over hyped.

You can make your own "soft start" AC outlet by wiring an outlet so that one side of the AC line has a thermistor in series with the line. The thermistor acts then as a current inrush limiter slowing the rate at which the full 120 volts AC is applied. The thermistor used should be capable of handling 5 or 6 amps continuous.

Dynaco amps with tube rectifiers have a built in delay with the use of a GZ34 tube. This tube is indirectly heated and takes 15 seconds or more to warm up before applying high voltage.

Bob
    leitmo

Post by leitmo Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:12 am

thanks for your reply Bob!

unfortunately i don't have SCA-35 pre, just a solid state kit. If ST-35 doen's need it i won't build it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:09 am