The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

ST-120 kit

pscottlowe

ST-120 kit  Empty ST-120 kit

Post by pscottlowe Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:56 pm

I think I need an ST-120 .I have been using an St-70 with my LaScalla for 2 years now and think I need an ST-120 .can an inexperienced guy build this or is that out of the question ? .I realy think this would complement my system:dynaco PAS #3 pre amp ,dynaco ST-70 amp LaScalla, Thorens tdk-146 with grado cartridge and a Denon DCD-1000 Also chorus heresy and just got an excellent deal on a pair or cornscalla . THX Scott
    WntrMute2
    WntrMute2

ST-120 kit  Empty Re: ST-120 kit

Post by WntrMute2 Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:08 am

I would whole-heartedly recommend this kit! I was a novice kit builder and mine went together easily (Maybe not for Bob). I did know which end of the soldering iron is hot but that's about it. I bought a couple of cheap circuit board kits from Radio Shack and practiced on those first. Drove my wife crazy with those flashing christmas trees around. I know next to nothing about electronics or circuits but the amp fired up first time. Also, Bob's kit is just superb, just add solder, a very small soldering pencil or station, some appropriate wire cutters and tiny needle nose pliers. Wife couldn't pry me back upstairs for 2 weeks or so. Listening to "The Concert for Bangladesh" right now and it sounds great.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:17 pm

The assembly manuals for the VTA ST-70, ST-120 and M-125 amp kits are written in simple language for the beginner. If you can follow directions, use simple hand tools and solder with a soldering pencil, you can build any VTA amp kit. Check out the partial ST-120 manual at the link below. About 2/3 of the manual is there along with a schematic (which you do not need to build the amp) a pictorial and a color photograph. All you do is read the step, do the step and then check what you did against either the pictorial or the color photograph. If you made an error, you will see the error immediately. If everything looks OK, you place a check beside that step and move on to the next step.

VTA ST-120 partial manual

Bob

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm