The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
Tube Nube
Sal
6 posters

A great Dynaco Day!

Sal
    Sal

A great Dynaco Day! Empty A great Dynaco Day!

Post by Sal Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:32 pm

Today was a very good Dynaco day for me. I acquired a mint in the original box PAS-4 tube preamp, 2 SCA-35's and 2 Mark III mono-blocks!

Its amazing what people will throw away... only kidding. I did pay for some of the items.

My truck tilted on one side with all the weight in the passenger side.. :-)

Here is a photo of the PAS-4 preamp as found. Internally it was clean as a whistle.

Regards,
    Sal

A great Dynaco Day! Pas4d
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

A great Dynaco Day! Empty Re: A great Dynaco Day!

Post by Tube Nube Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:30 am

Great score, Sal!

What's your plan? A multi-room Dynaco system?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:31 pm

Hi Sal,

You made a good catch there .... I've only worked on and listened to one PAS-4 but it destroys the PAS-2/3 for sound quality. Not too many of those were made. I was told that Panor had them made in Taiwan. The PAS-4 was never offered in "kit" form and if you don't have an owners manual one is here > PAS-4 owners manual

Bob
    Sal
    Sal

Post by Sal Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:20 am

Thanks Bob,
    Kevin mentioned the link to me and I printed the manual. The PAS-4 does sound really nice. The box and preamp says "Made in USA" so I assumed it was made in the USA. The only issue I noticed with the design is that it has a real small power transformer.

The problem with the manual is it has some guys email address on every page... Smile

Regards,
    Sal
    Sal
    Sal

Post by Sal Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:27 am

Tube Nube wrote:Great score, Sal!

What's your plan? A multi-room Dynaco system?

I have a ST-70 setup in the basement, a ST-70 in my living room but in my spare bedroom, I have a homebrew tube amp I built using the 1626 tubes for a whopping 3/4 per channel.

Thanks,
    Sal
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:24 am

Hi Sal ..

Someone had told me that the PAS-4 was built in Taiwan. If your PAS-4 says "Made in USA" then I was evidentally given erroneous information ...

The reason for the Email address on the PAS-4 manual is to keep some idiot from downloading all the manuals, schematics, pictorials etc. that Roy Mottram and I have collected and posted on Roy's web site for FREE, then putting them on a CD and selling the CD on Ebay. I still see a few "Dynaco Tube manuals etc." CD's on Ebay but I think the number being sold has dropped now that we have offered them at no cost to Dynaco tube enthusiasts and posted links to the free manuals on a number of DIY boards.

Bob
    Sal
    Sal

Post by Sal Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:09 am

Bob,
    I figured that was the reason why your email was on every page. I only playing around.

Thanks again for all the manuals you provided.

Sal
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

A great Dynaco Day! Empty PAS-4

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:08 am

Hi Sal,
    yes, you had a great day!!
    I've only seen 3 or 4 of these for sale over the past few years, and I've bid on a couple but never been able to snag one.
    I had a friend that owns one, and I borrowed it for a week. One of the absolute best bargains in hi-fi, if you got it for under $600 it was a steal, and if you ever see another one let me know!
    I was going to clone it once but figured it would cost me about $800 to build, which is fine if I knew another dozen people who wanted one, but a little more than what it's worth to me.
    Roy
    GP49

Post by GP49 Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:21 am

I had to fix one several years ago. A power supply malfunction, as I remember. No particular weakness, just one of those random things. I didn't get to listen extensively to it, though; just sent it on its way after fixing it. Build quality was okay but nothing special.
    Listens2tubes
    Listens2tubes

Post by Listens2tubes Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:15 pm

The PAS 4 website of the time linked to a not so enthusiatic review. That being the only info available at the time I bought a Van Alstine Super PAS4i used from Frank. Not long after that I read a very favorable review of the Dynaco PAS4 and emailed Panor thinking they'd use the better review. They never did. A great Dynaco Day! Kopfschuettel

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:38 pm