The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+4
Maintarget
sKiZo
Zimmer64
dougmon
8 posters

Mullard GZ34

dougmon
    dougmon

Mullard GZ34 Empty Mullard GZ34

Post by dougmon Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:39 am

Hi all:

New to this forum, just purchased a VTA ST-70, and I had a few questions.

I have read in a few places that the Mullard GZ34 is probably the best rectifier for the VTA ST-70.

Is this true just for NOS Mullard rectifiers, or would it hold true for the new ones as well (supposedly they're built from the same design as the NOS).

Thanks,

Doug
    Zimmer64
    Zimmer64

Mullard GZ34 Empty Re: Mullard GZ34

Post by Zimmer64 Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:19 am

Welcome to the forum. Only the NOS Mullards are really good.

Best

Michael
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:17 am

Consensus seems to be if you can't find (or afford) one of those, go with the Copper Cap WZ68. That's the solid state version of the rectifier that's considered fairly bulletproof in a stock amp and mimics the characteristics of the GZ34 quite well. It's also slower starting so less stress to the tubes. Even if you do find a real nice bottle you can't pass on, the copper cap is real handy as a spare.

If I had to complain (and I do so love to complain) they got no glow. tongue 

Weber also sells a WZ34. The WZ68 is a heavy duty version for the same price. One of these days I'll have to pick up on a WZ34 and see if there's any tonal difference that would put it ahead of the WZ68.

PS ... Playing my ST120, I like the tone of the Shuguang 5AR4. Bit muddy at the bottom, which would kinda sorta imply they're working a bit hard to produce the same volume as the copper cap and maybe under-supplying the power tubes when you're really hitting it. That and the Phillips big bottle are all I've tried besides the copper top, so maybe someone else can chime in with what works for them. Quite a few options in new production.
    Zimmer64
    Zimmer64

Post by Zimmer64 Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:13 pm

I have not tried the Webers, but I am quite pleased with the new production Sovtek GZ34 in my VTA ST70. Have a spare JJ GZ34 yet to try.

Enjoy experimenting!

Michael
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:01 pm

Been using the GZ34 JJ in my ST-120 for about two Months daily with no issues.
    dougmon
    dougmon

Post by dougmon Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:41 am

Thanks to all for the input. I've been told that my amp will come with a Sovtek GZ34. I think I'll stick with that for a while; back in my audiophile days, I often used a Sovtek rectifier in a Cary amp, and found them to be pretty tough. Well, actually, I found _it_ to be pretty tough, since I ran with it for a few years and sold the amp before I replaced it.

If I find a Mullard from a reputable dealer for the right price...I'll certainly grab it. In my stock ST-70, the GZ34 is a 'Realistic Lifetime' brand tube. I don't know how old it was when I bought the amp, but I haven't replaced it in...wow, it's been three years. Maybe it's time?

Thanks again, all.
    anbitet66
    anbitet66

Post by anbitet66 Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:02 am

Before you replace the Realistic brand rectifier, maybe post a picture of it so someone here can identify its lineage.  Since I know Radio Shack for almost 40 years, that brand went out in the mid to late 80's.  That tube might just be a mullard, or another quality tube from 'back in the day.  You'll know by how many kind offers you get for the "free proper disposal" you get. lol! Tony
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:08 am

Wanna have some real fun, take that "lifetime warranty" tube into the local ratshack and demand a replacement ... that never gets old ...
    anbitet66
    anbitet66

Post by anbitet66 Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:02 pm

sKiZo,

I've been told that they have an agreement with Antique Electronics Supply to replace any tube that is defective, though I've never tried to confirm that.  I have a couple of tubes from RS and one day for S&G's I may give the sales person a reason to exercise their motto : "You've got questions; we've got blank stares!"  Cool Tony
    BNR_1

Post by BNR_1 Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:09 pm

anbitet66 wrote:sKiZo,

I've been told that they have an agreement with Antique Electronics Supply to replace any tube that is defective, though I've never tried to confirm that.  I have a couple of tubes from RS and one day for S&G's I may give the sales person a reason to exercise their motto : "You've got questions; we've got blank stares!"  Cool Tony
    A few months back I walked in to the local RS. They had 3 employees. Most of them looked about 5 to 10 years out of highschool. I bet if I showed them a tube, let alone a Realistic tube, they would be scratching their heads thinking it was a christmas tree light bulb.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:06 pm

The local shack has a pretty good crew ... they know their stock, and are always ready with a "we don't carry that anymore" ...  clown 
    dougmon
    dougmon

Post by dougmon Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:25 pm

The "Realistic Lifetime" tube doesn't look like a Mullard, but who knows? The glass has a seam on it, and I've never seen that with a Mullard. But of course, I haven't seen everything. Or even a small fraction of everything... Razz 
    skriefal
    skriefal

Post by skriefal Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:30 pm

I'd guess that it might be a Matsushita tube from Japan. These are sometimes referred to as 'Japanese Mullards', because Mullard helped set up the factory and provided tooling designs and other knowledge to Matsushita. They're good tubes.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:44 am

Worth a try, anyway. If there is a replacement agreement with Antique Electronics, you can't lose. If not, it will be worth it for the look on the pimple-faced kid who helps you.

"What kind of cellphone is that?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am