The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Cryogenically treated tubes

ramon68

Cryogenically treated tubes Empty Cryogenically treated tubes

Post by ramon68 Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:26 pm

Anybody on the forum tried cryogenically treated tubes? If so, what do you think? Just read the blurb on cryogenic tubes
    on Upscale Audio's website and I am very curious.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Cryogenically treated tubes Empty Re: Cryogenically treated tubes

Post by sKiZo Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:23 pm

Haven't tried them myself, but the science makes sense. Relieve alignment stress on all the internal components, and less chance of going open or failing?

Then again, I'd expect standard hot/cold cycles to do the same. I figure it's like a light bulb ... if they don't fail immediately, they should last a while ...

There's also a bunch of ways of doing it apparently, and anyone who offers the service poo poo's any of them but their own ... making the most important question ... "which one's right?"

Something also worth mentioning - cryogenic treatment isn't a new thing, and you'd have expected the military to require it for their tubes - if it actually made a whole bunch of difference.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:15 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
    ArlanB
    ArlanB

Post by ArlanB Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:07 am

I tried a quad of cryoed Elektroharmonics KT88's about 4 years ago, they sounded OK, however I do not feel that they were anything special.  They lasted about 9 months before the dread internal light show took one out. Although nine months was enough time for break in to take place there was no noticeable improvement.  I still have the other three but have never used them again.  I don't feel that there was much of an advantage with the cryo treatment.   I ended my search with Penta Labs KT88SC's, and they are what I presently use.

Regards,

ArlanB

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am