The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

New to the Forum

dauphine

New to the Forum Empty New to the Forum

Post by dauphine Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Hi Guys

I'm new here and hailing from Cape Town, South Africa.

I recently acquired an SCA-35 so I guess this is the right place to learn all about them.

My amp was totally unabused and must have been stored in dry conditions for quite a few decades as it shows little usage.

Since I also own other tube equipment (a Leak Stereo 20), I was careful about connecting it to our 220V ac and did so gradually through some 40, 60 and 100W lightbulbs.

I have not replaced any caps or resistors but have given it a thorough dusting, fitted a new ac cord, a new flush-fit fuseholder,replaced the panelmount on/off switch, repaired the balance pot and replaced the amber power light lens with a little blue number.

Its performance in my system is good enough for now but there are two issues which bug me:

If it is connected to the ac and switched off, I can feel a slight 'vibration' if I touch the chassis or faceplace. On switching on, the 'vibration' disappears.

The other issue is a bit weird. If I pick up the amp and move it fairly vigorously from side to side, I can 'feel' something heavyish moving around. Could this be loose transformer bobbins?

During initial cleanup and inspection, I also checked for loose screws everywhere and found virtually all of them needed re-torqueing.

Happy and prosperous New Year to All

dauphine

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 pm